Talk me into / out of a Cali76 TX-L.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 7thString, May 4, 2015.

1. 7thString

7thString Member

I have always loved compressors. I play a strat, clean, live and in a studio a lot at the moment. I also use the studio's dbx compressor a lot for mixing etc. I have never had a problem dropping cash for quality gear... No brainier, right?!

...but I currently have a walrus audio deep six which is great and takes up minimal board space. I am also fairly broke at the moment, but not so broke that I can't afford a cali76... :) soo is it really worth the $$$? Show me the way, gear gods.

2. kooper156

kooper156 Member

You will love this pedal. After trying both the SlideRig and the Cali, I chose the SlideRig for the extra setting, but both are absolutely awesome compressors. In fact, if I were to chose the one to get the single best sound, the Cali might have a slight edge. I know I was supposed to try and talk you out of it, but it just would have been wrong. From my experience these are the best compressors made.

3. 7thString

7thString Member

Appreciate the input man, thanks. I'm leaning towards the normal TX version (over the TX-L) now because I like the grit that comes with the transformer saturation. Just need to click that button...

4. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

I have the TX version. Incredible Compressor. Sorry I can't talk you down. But I can tell you the Cali ended my search for compressors. I've owned / own the Barber Tone Press, Empress, Diamond, Strymon, Retro-Sonic, Effectrode, and the Mirage (think I got the whole list :) ). While, I've enjoyed most of these...The Cali is in a league of its own.

5. jubal81

jubal81 Member

Cali76 owner. No regrets spending that money whatsoever.

6. 7thString

7thString Member

Pulled the trigger. Knew I could rely on TGP'ers to support my GAS!

7. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

Cool! Which version did you purchase?

8. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

Congrats. You selected the gold standard for compressor pedals.

9. eddyrox

eddyrox Member

Owner of a lundahl transformer with boost.
    mmmm.....can't think of any reason not to have a Urei76-style compressor on my board, except it's not available any longer....

10. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

Happy Cali76 TX-P owner here. I did sweat the cost initially, but after using it combined with the fact that they're no longer made, I'm thoroughly satisfied with my decision.

I'll support other claims here that it truly is in a class of its own.

11. Bluesman79

Bluesman79 Supporting Member

Received my Cali76 G P this week...expensive, but worth every penny. Sounds killer

12. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

Just pulled the trigger on a used TX-L. Freakin PUMPED!!!

13. Bluesman79

Bluesman79 Supporting Member

Sweet! it made everything on my board and all my guitars sound better....fantastic pedal

14. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

I was going to get the standard version Cali76 but the vendor only had the TX version in stock. Looking back I am so glad I went with the TX version. It is flat out amazing and by far the best compressor I have ever used. Makes your clean tone come alive. Get the TX.

natethegreat12 likes this.
  15. 71strat

71strat Member

This is TGP.. Nobodys going to talk you out of getting MORE GEAR

But if money is basically no object I would just save up and buy the UREI single channel 1176LN.

I would have to get the Roger Mayer RM58 Compressor.

But the Cali is a great compressor. I would get the GP Limited Edition if possible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    natethegreat12 likes this.
  16. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

This is what I'm expecting. I hope it's a piece of gear that stays with for long time. The secret sauce!

17. 7thString

7thString Member

Just some follow up, I'm really loving the cali76. I bought the transformer model. My one gripe is that I wouldn't mind being able to increase the attack time; even at its slowest it still seems too fast for guitar.

18. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

I've owned my Cali76 TX-LP for almost a year now and frankly, I can't imagine ever being without it now that I've been made "aware".
    I much prefer mine to the later germanium version; it retains my base tone better (read: with no coloration) than the GE I had next to it.
    The GE added a sort of warmth/grit to my signal, which, granted, most people would appreciate, but I worked hard at getting my base tone and don't want it altered in any way.
    I quickly got rid of the Effectrode PC-2A for a similar reason; added too much warmth/girth to my signal. I only wanted a comp to add sustain, not to alter base tone.
    Diamond Comp SE is probably my favourite/most used comp overall. Been curious about the Roger Mayer RM58, but can't imagine it being that much better than the Cali76.

19. 7thString

7thString Member

Really keen to A/B the Keeley Pro now...

20. Nimbus

Nimbus Member

Yes, I would say smitty.west's description is pretty much spot on. The Cali76-G-P adds a noticeable 3 dimensional warmth to the signal and it is not transparent. But it is a REALLY nice warmth. The same is true of the boost, it is not transparent either and adds a little something. I guess you would say the G-P is a Cali of many flavors. If you want a pristine/transparent compressor this version may not float your boat. I wish you could just switch back and forth because I like transparent to, but there is something truly addictive about how the G-P sounds.

eddyrox likes this.