Talk me out of a Bondi Sick As OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheRealDeal, Jun 2, 2015.

1. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

Right now I am using a arc klone and a KOT for my overdrive....I feel like I need another...big surprise. Would the sick as be redundant on my board or would it be "different" enough to earn a spot?

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

you don't need it
    redundant

3. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

I at one time had the Sick As, Arc Klone v2, Archer and KTR at my disposal, and ended up keeping the Arc for clean boost and Archer for mid gain. The Sick As did gain up a little better to my tastes and through my rig than the Arc, but wasn't nearly as good at gain-down boost, and the Archer and KTR were a little more versatile overall. For me, the form function of the Archer won out against the KTR, which was honestly just as good otherwise. The Bondi was a victim of limited board space and too much redundancy, so I sold it. Great drive, and if you want more gain drive, it's one of the better K-pedals out there. I just like the Arc and Archer better for my uses and through my rig.

4. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

Sick As is just another overdrive, good looking one though. With pedals you already have, this one will probably go to emporium very soon. Or probably not. Who knows :)

5. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

I'll bite.

Don't - save your money for a Kingsley Harlot or Page.

;)

6. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

thanks guys for the responses...looks like i will be passing on the sick as....

7. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

8. guitar29

guitar29 Supporting Member

You have 2 of the best and the Bondi will be redundant.

9. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

Or you can make yourself a second pedalboard based around the Bondi. I just got a Bondi and love it to bits. It does higher gain than my mythical overdrive and highly recommend them.

That said, unless you want to build a second board with another klon style pedal, you don't really need it.

10. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

The Bondi is unique in that you have the flexibility to add/subtract bass to your rig. Or if your setup is particularly dark, it can get incredibly bright. As mentioned earlier, it has a lot of gain with excellent cleanup, so in my opinion, it is perfect for creating variations on the original Klon sound.

dpgreek likes this.
  11. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Yeah I have the Sick As as well as a couple of KTRs and other nice klones, but the Bondi gets top spot on my main board. Very versatile and clear sounding. I love it!

dpgreek and Wagster like this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

You came to a group of enablers to talk you OUT of a pedal? I'm amazed that the first few responses succinctly did that, and how long it took for the tide to turn. Given the medium and context, I'd focus on those early responses. ;) Of course, I happen to agree with them too. Largely redundant.

Gumbygreeneye likes this.
  13. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

My Bondi Sick As sounds very Klone-ish overall but, to me, the EQ emphasis seems quite different, brighter and more neutral as opposed to the famous Klon low-mid bump.

I think I actually prefer my Klone (BYOC Silver Pony) slightly because I do love that low-mid bump but the Bondi is a great overdrive in its own right.

-bEn r.

14. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

If you're happy with the Arc Klone and the KOT, I agree that the Bondi (while a fantastic pedal which I own and love) would be a bit redundant.

That said, I would highly suggest you check out the Barber Gain Changer. Recently picked one up and it covers an incredible amount of territory. So much so that I (personally) would and have considered just using that as my one and only gain pedal to use with my Bad Cat Black Cat 15.

dpgreek likes this.
  15. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I have the Barber GC and Bondi Sick As. Alone both are amazing. When stacked, that combo is phenom. I switch around w low gain GC into medium Bondi and Versa. I find that Bondi stands alone better as a med gain OD. Better than most Klon pedals and def better than KOT

16. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

This thread is almost 2 months old. I wonder if the original poster ever ended up getting that Bondi.

17. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

It has an active EQ, low and high sweep.. sounds to me the Arc would be the redundant one on that purchase.

18. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

The only thing as good as an ARC is a Sick As, and yes you do need them both! :hide

ARC for lower gain stuff, Sick As for saturated gainy goodness!

dpgreek likes this.
  19. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

i did not get the bondi however since i made this thread i did pick up a soothsayer and i could not be more happy with it and/or how it works with what is on my board.

20. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

that's a great one too