Talk me out of a Friedman Brown Eye...

Rango

Silver Supporting Member
Been a while since I had a 100 watt Monster... :D
Did the EVH 5150 III thing, there were things I liked about that amp but in the end I sold it because I wasn't playing "OUT" and didn't need an elephant gun! LOL!!! ;)
Well I'm back playing out and while I like my Mesa 5:25... Sometimes I want "Marshall". In the current band that could work really well...most of the stuff we are covering was originally recorded with a Marshall. I know I need a GREAT master volume and I want an effects loop. :)
I saw another working band from a bigger market and ended up helping them out when there mixer failed. They were 4 hours from "home".... anyway Lead player was playing the BE and I was supprised how good it sounded and saw the range of tones it had... He had nothing but good to say about it and he's playing it several nights a week.
GAS FLARE. :)
So...talk me out of it! :p:D

John 14:6

Been a while since I had a 100 watt Monster... :D
Did the EVH 5150 III thing, there were things I liked about that amp but in the end I sold it because I wasn't playing "OUT" and didn't need an elephant gun! LOL!!! ;)
Well I'm back playing out and while I like my Mesa 5:25... Sometimes I want "Marshall". In the current band that could work really well...most of the stuff we are covering was originally recorded with a Marshall. I know I need a GREAT master volume and I want an effects loop. :)
I saw another working band from a bigger market and ended up helping them out when there mixer failed. They were 4 hours from "home".... anyway Lead player was playing the BE and I was supprised how good it sounded and saw the range of tones it had... He had nothing but good to say about it and he's playing it several nights a week.
GAS FLARE. :)
So...talk me out of it! :p:D
Go for it! I just bought a Friedman Smallbox 50 and it is a GREAT amp. I think a Friedman will give a lifetime of great tone and a heck of a lot of fun.

Rango

Silver Supporting Member
Go for it! I just bought a Friedman Smallbox 50 and it is a GREAT amp. I think a Friedman will give a lifetime of great tone and a heck of a lot of fun.
Why did you go Small Box over BE?
Love this demo of the Small Box

iggs

Since getting my BE-100 I sold all my other amps ... pretty much ruined the "amp search" for me ... :p

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
If you are wanting a Marshall type amp I don't think it gets any better than the Friedman stuff. When I auditioned the Friedman amps they were sold out of the small box and the guy at the Hollywood GC said it was the most popular by far because you could get to the sweet spot quicker and it's a grand cheaper. Another great option is the Splawn Quickrod, they are brighter and more in your face than the BE 100 and some guys like them better. I prefer the Friedman stuff but you are talking about twice the money, worth checking out for sure.

cardinal

Get a 2203x and an SD-1 (or the OD of your choice). Marshall with a loop. With the OD, it'll sound good at lower volumes and will do pretty much what the BE can do, but for a lot less $.

buddastrat

Get a 2203x and an SD-1 (or the OD of your choice). Marshall with a loop. With the OD, it'll sound good at lower volumes and will do pretty much what the BE can do, but for a lot less $.

I agree. That video above is nothing an 800 with a pedal can't do. I even think an 800 would sound better. Plus you can turn the pedal off, roll down and get real clean. When guys clean up on the Friedman it still is a little too dirty to me.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
I agree. That video above is nothing an 800 with a pedal can't do. I even think an 800 would sound better. Plus you can turn the pedal off, roll down and get real clean. When guys clean up on the Friedman it still is a little too dirty to me.
You still may disagree but in person the Friedman feels better than any Marshall I have ever played and cleaned up really well too. I love JCM 800s and even recorded an album with one but if I had to pick it would be the Friedman.

iggs

You still may disagree but in person the Friedman feels better than any Marshall I have ever played and cleaned up really well too. I love JCM 800s and even recorded an album with one but if I had to pick it would be the Friedman.
:agree

demea26

Never played one. I hear they're great though and would love to drop $4k on one.

The clip does sound familiar to a 2203 with a boost though. Which is AWESOME either way

buddastrat

It could be, and could change my tune if playing one in person. to be honest I'm only going by all those clips. But that video above is nothing an avg. 800 couldn't get with a good pedal/player. I haven't heard any of the clips sound good when they roll down to clean up.

It could be, and could change my tune if playing one in person. to be honest I'm only going by all those clips. But that video above is nothing an avg. 800 couldn't get with a good pedal/player. I haven't heard any of the clips sound good when they roll down to clean up.
My Smallbox 50 watter cleans up amazingly well when turning down the guitar's volume even on the BE lead channel. I have had a bunch of Marshalls over the years and they were all great amps which cleaned up well too. I am still in the honeymoon phase with the Friedman, but I am sure it will be a long one. it is just an incredible amp. The feel is hard to describe. It is not stiff at all even while the amp remains tight. The tone is perfect.

Why did you go Small Box over BE?
Love this demo of the Small Box
I prefer 50 watt amps and that is plenty of power. Plus the Smallbox has the Plexi and the BE channels which are all I will ever need. The amp cleans up nicely and I can hit it with an overdrive if I want more gain. The price is also much easier on the wallet and marriage. :D

cardinal

I played one of his Kitchen Sink mods (the original amp was a Reinhardt 100 watter). It was a nice enough amp, but so is a stock JCM 800 and an SD-1 and OD808. The benefit of the Friedman is the loop and the channel switching if you need those things.

buddastrat

My Smallbox 50 watter cleans up amazingly well when turning down the guitar's volume even on the BE lead channel. I have had a bunch of Marshalls over the years and they were all great amps which cleaned up well too. I am still in the honeymoon phase with the Friedman, but I am sure it will be a long one. it is just an incredible amp. The feel is hard to describe. It is not stiff at all even while the amp remains tight. The tone is perfect.
I have not played them, just going by well recorded clips. Amps cleaning up is super important to me. Seems everyone claims how their tube amp cleans up well, but to me, in this video, it is not cleaning up that well, stays gritty and he has to get so quiet before it even resembles clean. Part of that is probably because it's high gain circuit. I always liked a tube amp that will get clean but still keep audible volume. that's the trick, I have read from guys that many these Friedmans vary I guess that's part of the hand wired thing (if they are) and some do a better job than others too. I think they sound good in these videos but no better than an 800/pedal thing.

Last edited:

I have not played them, just going by well recorded clips. Amps cleaning up is super important to me. Seems everyone claims how their tube amp cleans up well, but to me, in this video, to me, that is not cleaning up well, stays gritty and he has to get so quiet before it even resembles clean. Part of that is probably because it's high gain amp and it sounds good for that thing. I like an amp that will get clean but still keep audible volume. that's the trick. Powerful to clean but none of that gritty thing in there. I have read from guys that many these Friedmans vary I guess that's part of the hand wired thing (if they are) and some do a better job than others too.
My Smallbox cleans up really well. I am using Strats which do not have super high output pickups. Two Malmsteen Strats and a Fender Relic with DiMarzio Area pickups. I am probably going to buy another relic and slap and EVH Wolfgang in the bridge since the Friedman can just beg to play some Van Halen at times. Cleaning up is very important to me too and this is not one of the clips that sold me on the amp. I do like the crunchy stuff Doug gets here.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
I played one of his Kitchen Sink mods (the original amp was a Reinhardt 100 watter). It was a nice enough amp, but so is a stock JCM 800 and an SD-1 and OD808. The benefit of the Friedman is the loop and the channel switching if you need those things.
No argument here the 800 and a pedal is an amazing sound. I personally thought the Friedman felt a bit better and of course has that sound without pedals and has the great loop and clean channel.

Rango

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the replies! :D

I got to play a JCM 800 a long time ago... I just remember it needing an attenuator to get to the "sweet spot" and being "harsh" at times. A great amp but... BE is attractive because it gives me several voices to use...

Smallbox is interesting just since 50 watts is plenty... Price is always an issue, so I tend to buy USED. And a used BE popped up on CL near me, price isn't bad and I'm sure there's a little "room". I figure if I buy it right and it doesn't work out, the "lesson" won't be too expensive. ;-)

I plan on pairing it with a Mesa 2x12 cab....

It's a lot of coin... ;)

Trending Topics