• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Talk me out of a Green Rhino

Machew

Silver Supporting Member
I dont have a TS and want to buy my first. The GR seems as good as any... Any reason not to buy one? Im going to play it through a Dr Z Cure.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I recommend this! The best of a TS9 and an808 in one pedal. The COT (church of tone) boost added to the left side is just killer......the bass and treble controls are a must for fine tuning it to your amp
.You can find them on Reverb...Very reasonably priced as well... usually.. should cost around $129

Last edited:

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
Not as good as any. Maybe better. Maybe worse too - really depends. Let me explain. In fact, let me talk you out of a green rhino. :cool:

It's a take on a TS circuit sure but it can be so mangled from the typical TS eq profile that even though that TS sound is certainly in there somewhere, it's not to my thinking "as good as any TS" when it comes to being a TS. I think it's fair to say that much of the attraction of a green rhino to many is borne of the limitations of a regular TS - the mid-hump it is known for, the bass cut, etc and the green rhino's ability to undo or address those facets of screamertude.

I have never liked tubescreamers, and I don't really care for the green rhino either, truth be told, but I'd take a GR over a regular TS every time. That's an endorsement, but it's def not an endorsement of the GR as a representative of the TS form.

So if you are buying a first tubescreamer, getting a GR is a bit like drinking a guinness as your first beer - yeah it's beer, but it's not really a representative experience of what people (us yanks at least) refer to when they think of beer. You could easily get the wrong impression.

Please don't @ me about beer, guys, thanks! That's my point about GR vis a vis other TS. This was my attempt to talk you out (you asked! :D) but the truth is IMO you could do a whole lot worse in terms of dirtboxes at $130 new than a GR, so having said the above, buy it and see. There's really no other way to know how you like it. But it won't probably be a good way to discover if you vibe with the TS thing or not.

Stratburst70

Hold out for the Green Rhino MkV that’s coming soon. It’s in a smaller housing, it’s based on the MkII circuit which is more open and less congested than the MkIV, plus there’s an internal switch to change the mid-boost/cut from 100 hz to 500. That puts it closer to the Overrated Special, which works better if your amp has a lot of low end.

tonedover

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
my overrated special is the best TS ive ever used, its a green rhino variant. the key is the 500k knob.
the GR mkv has an internal switch that allows you make the external ”freq” knob act as a 500k knob

tonedover

Gold Supporting Member
Hold out for the Green Rhino MkV that’s coming soon. It’s in a smaller housing, it’s based on the MkII circuit which is more open and less congested than the MkIV, plus there’s an internal switch to change the mid-boost/cut from 100 hz to 500. That puts it closer to the Overrated Special, which works better if your amp has a lot of low end.
jinx !

Machew

Silver Supporting Member
Not as good as any. Maybe better. Maybe worse too - really depends. Let me explain. In fact, let me talk you out of a green rhino. :cool:

It's a take on a TS circuit sure but it can be so mangled from the typical TS eq profile that even though that TS sound is certainly in there somewhere, it's not to my thinking "as good as any TS" when it comes to being a TS. I think it's fair to say that much of the attraction of a green rhino to many is borne of the limitations of a regular TS - the mid-hump it is known for, the bass cut, etc and the green rhino's ability to undo or address those facets of screamertude.

I have never liked tubescreamers, and I don't really care for the green rhino either, truth be told, but I'd take a GR over a regular TS every time. That's an endorsement, but it's def not an endorsement of the GR as a representative of the TS form.

So if you are buying a first tubescreamer, getting a GR is a bit like drinking a guinness as your first beer - yeah it's beer, but it's not really a representative experience of what people (us yanks at least) refer to when they think of beer. You could easily get the wrong impression.

Please don't @ me about beer, guys, thanks! That's my point about GR vis a vis other TS. This was my attempt to talk you out (you asked! :D) but the truth is IMO you could do a whole lot worse in terms of dirtboxes at $130 new than a GR, so having said the above, buy it and see. There's really no other way to know how you like it. But it won't probably be a good way to discover if you vibe with the TS thing or not.
Interesting response. I have two goals for this pedal. Try out a classic tube screamer circuit and be able to sell it easily if I dont like it. The GR appeared to be flipable 8f needed.

nastynate

Get the Green Rhino Mark IV. Put it in classic mode and start playing. Then, if you want, you can start tweaking the 100 and 500 Hz knobs to fine tune your sound. It’s a really great Tubescreamer variant.

Mosley

Electric Catnip
I would say the MkIV Green Rhino is the best place to start if you’re interested in the Tube Screamer origins of the Green Rhino. The switch gives you the original Green Rhino’s modded Tube Screamer flavor in the up position, and the down position gives you the EQ options that made the MkII Green Rhino so good. Some people say the MkIV is not as good as the MkII for one reason or another, so maybe there’s something to that...but personally, I dig the MkIV and love the option to use the vintage circuit.

Machew

Silver Supporting Member
I would say the MkIV Green Rhino is the best place to start if you’re interested in the Tube Screamer origins of the Green Rhino. The switch gives you the original Green Rhino’s modded Tube Screamer flavor in the up position, and the down position gives you the EQ options that made the MkII Green Rhino so good. Some people say the MkIV is not as good as the MkII for one reason or another, so maybe there’s something to that...but personally, I dig the MkIV and love the option to use the vintage circuit.
Seemed like a good safe bet to get started on a TS.

philamag87

To my ears, the MKIV is thinner sounding and lacks warmth. The classic mode switch was neat but probably more of a marketing tool than useful. I rarely used it. I think the Overrated Special was better than the MKIV.

I would suggest the MKV. It doesn't sound and feel as good as the MKII but it's better than the MKIV. The MKV gives you a nice blend of the MKII and MKIV.

MESA/BUDDA

Did not like the Green Rhino. Felt it sounded too weak, soft and gutless for TS, lacked hair as well.

Trending Topics