• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Talk Me Out of a Matchless Clubman

MGuts

Is there anything about these amps that you don't like? I loved it when I played it in store, but I've learned the hard way that when an amp is trying to cut it with a full band, it might not be as nice as I originally thought. Anything you guys don't like about it? I'll be playing with a Strat if that makes any difference.

Guinness Lad

What's the price? If it's cheap maybe I'll talk you out of it so I can buy it as a back up.

I can't think of anything to report on the negative side with these amps.

clothwiring

I own a Chieftain and it has no problem cutting through...on 2...and it sounds great.

So...no I won't try and talk you out of it...unless you have a bad back.

MGuts

$2800-$2900 for the head with a matching 2x12 cab. I'm buying new;).

My back is fine now, but I've heard they're pretty heavy amps. The cabinet was a lot lighter than I expected though.

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
Is there anything about these amps that you don't like?
I don't like that you're getting one and I'm not! :D

What's not to like about a Clubman? Great amp! You'll get no talking you out of it from me. :dude

Maven

Gold Supporting Member
Talk you out of a Clubman? Why? Sounds amazing, loves pedals, built like a tank, sits well in a mix but also cuts through, what's not to like?

hangten

Gold Supporting Member
yeah man, why?!!

talk me out of it instead - I'm totally gassing for one of these...and have no business thinking about buying one right now!

Madison

I've only had mine a couple weeks and haven't gigged it yet, but a friend used his new Clubman for the first time Saturday night. He wrote me an email the next day:

"Used the ML w/ 2 Egnater cabinets last night. Pure bliss...This amp is big at low volumes and has headroom to the moon. Like butta. Took pedals beautifully. The ML will make any other rig a disappointment to play. Even at 45 lbs I will take this amp everywhere. Not even sure when I would use the Bassman now???"

I bought a Lightning combo at the same time, and seem to find myself only playing the Clubman lately...it's hard to pass up the 'big tone'!

MGuts

Sounds like there's no negatives to be found. That was my initial impression when I tested it out, but I wanted to see if anybody with more time on the amp thought different. Glad you don't.

slegros

A friend who owns a club I play at regularly has one. I use it almost every time I play at his place(twice a month). Its a great amp, but it has a distinct character you either will or wont like. I agree with the posts above-but to be devil's advocate Ill REALLY nitpick and add the following to what has been posted:

EL34 power section- It does have good headroom but there's always a touch of grit to the cleans, you don't get 'clean cleans' in the same way a 6L6 amp will give you cleans.

It has a bright, kind of 'hard' character and can get really 'In your face'. Youll either like that or you wont. With overly bright strat pickups it can be piercing at times-even with the brilliance and treble rolled off. My friend has one strat with really trebly pickups that I just HATE with this amp.

Here's a good site comparing amp tones. The clip for the Clubman I find is pretty representative of the one I play through. You can hear the 'in your face' sound I was referring to especially when comparing the Clubman to say any of the Marshall clips.

http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/CompareAmps/CompareAmps.html

Last edited:

devbro

Had a non-reverb model for a while and couldnt bond with it. I heard that you need the Matchless cab and that could have been why I didnt bond. As previously mentioned I thought it was a little harsh and the EF86 was not clean enought for my liking. Probably a great country amp with a twangy tele.

JohnnyRock

Mine cuts through the band mix like a monster..... great tone and takes pedals like a champ -- I am not sure how you could go wrong with this classic...

Madison

A friend who owns a club I play at regularly has one. I use it almost every time I play at his place(twice a month). Its a great amp, but it has a distinct character you either will or wont like. I agree with the posts above-but to be devil's advocate Ill REALLY nitpick and add the following to what has been posted:

EL34 power section- It does have good headroom but there's always a touch of grit to the cleans, you don't get 'clean cleans' in the same way a 6L6 amp will give you cleans.

It has a bright, kind of 'hard' character and can get really 'In your face'. Youll either like that or you wont. With overly bright strat pickups it can be piercing at times-even with the brilliance and treble rolled off. My friend has one strat with really trebly pickups that I just HATE with this amp.

Here's a good site comparing amp tones. The clip for the Clubman I find is pretty representative of the one I play through. You can hear the 'in your face' sound I was referring to especially when comparing the Clubman to say any of the Marshall clips.

http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/CompareAmps/CompareAmps.html
Good info above, yes it is inherently bright and 'steely/hard' on normal settings which I tend to like on a strat or tele neck or neck+middle. Another description I use is sparkly or chimey. But, you can dial it out by using your guitar tone knob and amp brilliance knob. Mostly I do a strat neck tone at 7 or 8 and the 'in between' with tone at 9 or 10. The touch of grit is one of the best things about this amp, but it can still be quite clean IMO. Really good cleans actually, which might be tube related.

MGuts

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'm going to keep in mind what Slegros said when I go back this weekend and explore it more. The pickups I just got put in to my Strat are pretty full bodied, but they're not too hot on the output so it sounded pretty good to my ears. I did turn the presence to about noon or a little below noon though to keep things from getting too bright.

In that clip with David Grissom, does anyone know what he's boosting the amp with? I saw a pedal on the floor, but I couldn't tell what it is.

How do the Clubman and HC-30 differ? I probably shouldn't even have asked that question becuase I pretty much have my mind made up lol. I might have some more deciding now.

69strat

I just got a HC-30 clone from a fellow gear pager ( thanks Dion ) .. Holy ^&*% !!! It sounds amazing !!! Never heard a clubman..

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
I've been a Clubman user for years now. Contrary to what the other poster said: you CAN get incredibly glassy (ala Fender) cleans: plug in to the LOW INPUT jack! No one but myself ever seems to mention this! Best clean tone on the planet. The high input jack gets you everything from that slightly broken-up tone to a monster Hiwatt/Vox/Fender/Marshall grind that NO OTHER amp gets!

At all times: crank the Master Vol. to at LEAST noon (or all the way up). Control your overall volume level with the input volume. This will get you the magic tones that will turn you into a Matchless addict for life. Make sure you use a matching cab (ESD 2x12) to get maximum tone.

I've owned around 35 or 40 amps in my life (been playing since '79 - Marshalls, Fenders, boutique stuff, etc.) and I have to say that the Clubman is - if not the BEST amp I've ever played - certainly AS GOOD as ANY amp I've ever played in my life.

The ONLY downside: it's pretty heavy to lift. That's all.

Trending Topics