talk me out of a Shiva EL34 Reverb Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Funky Chicken, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

My only reservation is that it may be too loud. Most of my gigs at this point are 500 miles from home, so I'm flying and renting.
    Is there anything else I should be trying out that will do similar things with less volume, or should I get an Airbrake or Hot Plate, or is the Shiva master really that good? I'm talking "house" but not "bedroom" volumes.

2. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I think the master is that good. It is one of the best masters around.

Chuck

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Get a Hot Plate, no worries. The master is very good though.

4. e-z

e-z Member

Whatever you do, don't buy it!

Did that talk you out of it? :)

5. kselbee

kselbee Member

The Shiva sounds great at lower volumes so you shouldn't worry about volume.

6. Shemp

Shemp Member

I have mine sitting in my living room right now, plugged into a 2X12 and play it regularly without disturbing my wife.

7. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I liked the clean channel a lot but found the dirt channel slightly dark and a little too compressed for my tastes. It still sounded great in a band mix, though.

8. Shemp

Shemp Member

The Shiva loves pedals if you don't like the dirt channel.

9. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

True. I used an Addrock Boostmaster with it and it sounded wonderful (before the Shiva was stolen).

10. bobbtoz

bobbtoz Silver Supporting Member

The Shiva has the best master volume I've ever tried. You won't need a hot plate.

11. dave s

dave s Member

As others have mentioned, the master volume is global and accurately controls both channels. It's really easy to dial in the correct channel volume for clean and gain, then regulate overall volume with the master.

I used mine (Shiva EL34/Reverb on top of a Bogner open back 410 cab) at some pretty 'subdued' gigs. It still sounded wonderful even at low volumes.

Like any other 2 EL34 amps, it does bloom nicely when opened up a bit! ;)

dave

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Get a hot plate. If you like the Shive sounds, you're good to go.

13. devbro

devbro Member

I tried a Hotplate with my EL34 Shiva and I thought it smothered the sound. The master volume is the way to go.

As previously posted, I also have refrained from using the drive channel due to the dark compressed sound. Oddly, I talked to Greg at Bogner and he said he'd never heard this complaint before :confused:

I get all the dirt & drive I need from the clean channel with a Zen, Timmy and FDII. I use the Timmy as a clean boost and stack the Zen into it for a truly smooth blooming drive. The FDII is great for all out OD.

14. Ken

Ken Member

Tim pedal and the Pro Analog Dual Drive work very well on my Shiva's clean channel.

15. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Wow you guys are talking me into one instead of talking the thread starter out of one

16. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

If you don't care about the spanky, funky, almost sterile cleans, then the Shiva rocks. The problem is setting up both channels to gig with. You have to get the master pumping to get the cleans where you want, but then the gain channel is deafening ... so you start turing down the gain on the lead channel to match the clean channel volume, and the wailing lead sound dries up a bit. I would leave the boost on for all rock tunes, and adjust the gain down from there.

However, if you don't need the clean channel, fire that sucker up! BTW, I gigged with 3 different Shivas over a 2 year period. The older Shivas, which are easy to spot because the power tubes loaded sideways in compartments where the fixed vents are now, were MUCH more aggressive. I am talking a much better cranked power tube sound at lower volumes. I had an older one and sold it, because I am a fool :(

17. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Ok. Don't get a Shiva,..get an Orange Rockerverb 50 instead.

:cool:

18. PaulS2

PaulS2 Supporting Member

"Wow you guys are talking me into one instead of talking the thread starter out of one"

Talked me into getting one ....just arrived today. What a nice amp.

Cleans are great and the dirty channel is just right to my ears. Thick and smooth, what other amps I've tried should have been but just weren't. Master volume is exactly what other's have commented here.