Talk me out of a Tim...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Trevorsnackson, May 1, 2015.

1. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

So right now I'm running an ARC effects klone into a timmy for most of my drive sounds. Stacked together I get a nice crunchy tone, almost reminds me of a marshall.

I love the tone and amount of gain, but every now and then I want just a little more gain without changing the tone too much. Instead of getting a third pedal, I figured the Tim could do the job with its boost side, since its more gain instead of more volume.

Would changing my timmy to a Tim be a viable option? Or should I just get another overdrive to stack with them?

2. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

One of my greatest gear regrets was selling my Tim...sadly they're massively overpriced now. Worth having for your needs...still spendy.

3. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

Every now and then I see them pop up for a price I won't mind paying, I just need to figure out if the boost is what I'm looking for.

Can you tell me a little bit about the boost side?

4. Cake Bakist

Cake Bakist Member

I use a Tim with an Arc Klone and I love it. The versatility of having an extra gain stage from the Tim is great.

I have the Tim gain set lowish as my main drive and then kick on the boost for crunchier stuff and then use the Arc for leads. It's killer.

5. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

A Tim would work for that, but a second Timmy would be easier to find and ultimately be more flexible.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd go with the Tim, I like the sound a little better than the Timmy.

7. HughesP

HughesP Member

I've never done a side by side comparison, but I thought I read at one time that the Timmy has the same amount of gain as the Tim in boost mode (in other words, without the boost on the TIM, the TIM would have less gain than a timmy on the same settings). The TIM doesn't really offer an extra gain stage, the boost is just a higher gain setting (kind of like cranking the gain knob higher)

By that logic, the Tim shouldn't actually offer you more gain - just two different gain settings instead of one.

So if you want more gain than a timmy with the gain cranked, you should be looking elsewhere. But if you are setting the timmy lower and wanting to take it to a higher setting without much of a tonal shift, then the TIM might be what you want.

I could be wrong on this, but I thought that is what I had heard somewhere previously...

8. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

Don't buy the Tim.

It could lead to herpes, a life without friends and love and even premature death.

(you did ask for someone to talk you out of it, right?)

9. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

I've had a Tim, and I like the Timmy better, just stick with what works.

Get a Fuzz or something for that extra kick. BAT Black Forest or BA Futureman, both can add just a little more gain and have good EQ controls.

C'mon, everyone needs a Fuzz. Or a Rat.

10. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

How much do they sell for now? Prices on eBay are all over the place. They've sold anywhere from $200 to $400+ in the course of two months.

11. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

Theres one in the emporium for 229

I already have myself a muff... maybe I should just get a rat...

12. esmith747

esmith747 Member

There is no way to talk you out of a Tim. I'm on my second Tim because I was a fool and traded away the first one. I have a V1 currently and found that I prefer it to the Timmy I had years ago. It seems to have more bottom end and just hits better than the Timmy. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.

13. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

i like the taper and the second channel of the tim but it's essentially the same pedal as the timmy. because i dial in a smidgen of dirt and use the boost occasionally to add in more girth i just prefer the way the tim interacts better.

i think $250 is a decent price for a used one.

14. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

I also regretted selling mine. I love the Timmy but the Tim sounded smoother to me, probably a tad less gain. However, the gain stages and boost made it a very versatile pedal. It was nice to just show up at a gig or jam with just a guitar, amp, and the Tim. I could get so many different sounds from it.

15. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

The Muff is a sort of all encompassing sound, a colorsound overdriver (I suggested two clones) is a lot more subtle. It's like comparing a DS1 with a Timmy.

16. e???

e??? Member

You're asking at the wrong place man... the timmy/tim is a spiritual thing around here. This is no strymon or jhs fad. This is permanent creepy group love...

17. Liquid_Mojo

Liquid_Mojo Supporting Member

I've owned 3 Timmy's and sold them all. I kept the Tim. It doesn't have as much gain on the regular channel as the Timmy, but it sounds warmer, and the boost pushes it over the Timmy. Great for lead work when stacked with another drive.

18. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

:agree

19. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

+1 !!!

20. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Its a nice pedal.....def the best clean boost ive tried ,but i couldn't get on with the OD.
    Set it clean and boost a raging jmp is a great sound (like going to 11 but no change in tone)but i prefer the colouration my TS808HW adds.
    Alternatively, set it as a clean boost into a clean amp is cool if you can handle the extra vol,but i hate it set dirty into a clean amp.