Talk me out of Apogee Jam!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Prosvetlen, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

Talk me out of Apogee Jam! And do it fast, please, because tomorrow I'm going to buy it! Thanks!

2. richpjr

richpjr Member

Uhhh...that's not the TGP way. We WANT you to buy it, use it, post pictures of it, review it, and then flip it for the next hot thing.

Sheez.

3. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I have one... Have messed with it a bit with my iPad. It works great with amp kit...

It mostly sits around unused. :/

It'd be really handy if I travelled for work... iPad, Traveller guitar, Apogee Jam + Ampkit = fun hotel practice.

4. Fred132

Fred132 Member

Don't have an Apogee Jam, but do use a Duet with my MacBook. It was pricey, but a great piece of gear nonetheless.

I say pull the trigger.

5. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

Still wanting it... What about latency? Did you use it with your VSTs (Line 6, Amplitube, Guitar Rig, etc.) through a stationary computer. Again--latency? Thanks.

6. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

Latency could be better, because I don't think it functions as an external audio driver; I've heard the latency isn't that bad, but everyone saying/showing that only used/uses one plugin at a time.

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/...s/audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2-529226/review

there ya go
    + you can run effects in stereo

When I first looked into audio interfaces I was deadset on the JAM. But then I looked for external drives, and I needed MIDI, so I went with the NI komplete audio 6, which is supposed to have exquisite drivers, A/D-D/A converters, etc. It's supposed to arrive via UPS any second now; I've just been pacing around all day.
    But if this is for an ipad I don't think you could go better than the JAM.

7. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

Oh, trust me, I know the feeling--I was the same way when waiting for the Ultra to be delivered.

8. kikey

kikey Member

Yes, the latency could certainly be better and as far as I know this is basically a USB-device. But the latency is not much worse than using the mic-input though. I have noticed that killing all apps that not are used sometimes help to lower the latency. I have read that JAM should work with iPhone 3GS, but that seems not to be true. Atleast not with my iPhone :huh

9. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

I bought the Jam yesterday. I have some good news and some not so good news (not necessarily bad, though).

The good news:

1) I plugged in the Jam into my iMac. Specs:
    As an audio MONO input the Jam worked flawlessly--latency measured at 1.2 ms, which I find phenomenal.

2) On the iMac I used the Jam as an audio input, the output was the default one, I monitored the sound through it. I used Jam with Guitar Rig 4, Amplitube 3, Pod Farm 2.5, GTR, Revalver, and many other VSTi + various soft effects. All of that worked beautiful, and, when combined with a VST drum machine (Addictive Drums, for example), it still kept the latency under 3.4 ms. Again, phenomenal!

3) I plugged three guitars in the Jam: Highway One, Godin ASC, and Jazz Bass. All of them worked great with the Jam. The main and only, actually, trick with the Jam is to figure out the optimal input level for your instrument. If it's too much, it will work as an overdrive; if too weak, it will not send good dry guitar signal to your processor, so that will make you tweaking for at least 30 minutes. I was particularly surprised by how well the Godin interacts with the Jam--I didn't have any idea it would be that beneficial.

Now the not so good news: it works great with the iPad 2, but the whole rig is still a toy stuff, don't think that you will use it as a recording studio. With some substantial efforts it might work as a sketchpad, and that is overestimation.

Bottom line: I will keep it--it came up as $108 after taxes. Why not keep it?