Talk me out of buying Komet.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mojoman, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Alright guys,
    I want one of these.......but I really don't want to spend the money.
    I am torn between the 60 and the Constellation as well.....
    So any guidance....any reason I shouldn't go for it (sorta crossing my fingers :D )? Or should I just go fro it?
    Let me know.

2. highgeer

highgeer Member

Just go for it. They are both great amps and their resale is good as well. If you play loud then they are both at the top of the heap.

Mike

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

me thinks you need 1 of each. :)

4. Mojoman

I wish!!!! My wallet is already crying for me even debating this purchase.
    Anyone else?
    Connie v. Komet?

5. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

For god sake, hurry up and do it before something changes....

The dilemna you are goign through, I have pondered myself many times.

The constellation functionally will aford you two tones on tap via the footswitch, and is sensitive to volume change as well..so on the plus side you'll have alot of versatility...the sound can be very raw, so you have to want that. SN67 tubes have been tricky to find at times...but I imagine that's overrated as a hurdle?

The K60 has less to manipulate in terms of two tone palletes on tap, but it does allow use of different tubes...When I visited Komet last year I had the benefit of hearing the amp with EL34's and then 6L6 tubes..and they both sounded awesome. The slow/fast switch really works in my opinion...so that's fun.

Neither have an effects loop, so if you want reverb or something like that you'll have to run a wet/dry rig using the line out of an attenuator (which you might want to use).

You can't go wrong either way..just do it. Why not find a cheap plane ticket to baton rouge and go play both...it's worth spending a few hundred dollars if your going to spent $3.5K for the amp of a lifetime.

6. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

sorry.......against TGP rulz to talk any member outa buying gear unless chicanery is involved (example.......trying to buy the same piece of gear first)

7. DrSax

DrSax Member

ya gotta do it. Great amp!

:Devil

8. mude

mude Supporting Member

Both amps are very cool and they just ooze quality.

That being said, make sure you know what you are getting. They are both very loud in order to get a fair amount of overdrive, etc. For me, it would mean pedals or lots of attenuation I'm afraid. Nothing wrong with that, but it is just part of the game with that style amp for me these days. Same is true of most 30-100 watt non-master volume amps it would seem.

Still, amazing amps in the right hands.

Evan.

9. Mojoman

Thanks guys.....lots of help. :)
    So any other opinions between the two?

10. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

With the exception of a very special, all original '59 Bassman and a Trainwreck named Ginger. The Komet k60 is the greatest amp I've ever played. I lovd it loud our quiet. I regret selling mine every day. I will have another.

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I have a 60 and have heard/played a Connie. From this experience, I'd say the 60 is beefier, fatter, tigher (more plexi)...whereas the Connie has more "spread", sizzle, and chime (more voxy). Not sure if that helps...my 2 cents anyway.
    Greg

12. CPA

CPA Member

I personally love my 60. Put NOS tubes in it and it really comes alive. I do not know what I would do without it!

:RoCkIn

13. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I've never played a Connie but would say you couldn't go wrong with either. Especially if you go used. At about $2800 used you'll be able to get most if not all of your money back if you decide to sell. They are built like tanks. I have a 6V6 prototype "baby brother" of the K60 & it is one of the best sounding amps I've ever played. The OD is so tight it's not funny. I run mine through a 2x12 with blues and it kills. The gradual/fast switch works well. I'd personally go for the K60 because of the ability to swap tubes. I know VaughanC loves it with blackplate 6L6's. They are loud but not piercing loud where it hurts your ears.

14. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've had two K60s and two K30s, settled on one Connie. I just like the sound better and the volume is a bit better for clubs.

15. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

At times you need chime and other times you need to soar.
    I don't see how you can not buy both.
    Sell a kidney or something, but make it happen man.
    :AOK

16. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I say go for it! We will be eagerly await the ensuing "Everything Must Go" sale you'll be having to pay for it.

:D

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

The Constellation I played wasn't too loud. It's a really nice, responsive amp. I haven't played a K60 FWIW.

Go fer it. ;)

18. Mojoman

Alright guys,
    You are really pushing me to make the decision you all know I want to make. :dude
    But I am still trying to decide between the two....
    1) Is the Constellation as good at its niche as the Komet 60 is at its niche?
    2) Do you think the Constellation would fit in better with my other amps, a Maven Peal Tusk and RG88?
    3) The Constellation....is it Voxy or Hiwatty?
    4) How would these both react to my 2x12, with a Celestion Blue and G12H?

Thanks for all your input thus far.

19. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Fanatic Silver Supporting Member

I have owned both the Connie and the K60, but currently I only own the 60.
    For what it is worth I like the 60 more than the 30. The Connie is a great amp, but it is a bit more limited IMHO.
    The Connie has more gain and considerably less headroom than the 60.
    Both amps seem to thrive on 4 x 12 cabinets loaded with G12H30's.
    It really comes down to what you are looking for because they are both superior at what they do.
    To my ears it is hard to beat the sound of my Strat running into the K60 in the fast mode paired up with a 68 Marshall cabinet loaded with old G12H30's..
    You just have to hear it to know what I mean. :AOK

20. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I've never played the K60 so I can't compare. However, I am the original owner of the 3rd Connie shipped and have spent a lot of time with the amp. It is both Voxy and Hiwatty. Voxy in its ability to have sweet, chimey clean tones. Hiwatty in the punch and presence of the amp. The Constellation likes blues, so that may be a good choice. It also has the great feature of blending the two channels, which sounds amazing, IMO. That amp still inspires me after years of playing it.