Talk me out of getting one of the Worn Brown LP Studios

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Meals, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Meals

Meals Member

I have an LP custom that is my number one, but I have been GASing for one of those LP Studios in worn brown. It is so simplistic, but looks great and I'd love to put some flat wounds on it and make it my go-to jazz guitar. Someone, please talk me out of this:

[​IMG]

2. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Can't do it, brother. I had a worn cherry at one point that played and sounded amazing....dare I say a bit better than my Gibby Standard...

3. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

No. They're a great value. A ton of bands around here started on those guitars. They were HUGE when I was a teen. Always makes me want to pick one up.

4. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

No way!

If you find a good deal on one, just get it. The whole "worn" series is a good value (used most especially).

5. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Love those! Needs cream plastic and gold knobs, a wiring harness and some under wound HBs, and you're set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had one and thought it was a great guitar. Duncan '59s & a number of coats of Tru-Oil along with some cream plastic.

[​IMG]

7. Cornbread

Cornbread Silver Supporting Member

Always loved the look of those.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

They were often built from multiple small pieces of wood glued together, which is why they were looked down on when they came out and maybe weren't as successful as they could have been. That said, no one I know who owned or played one complained that the sound was hurt by the construction. That said, I'd want to pay quite a bit less than a straight ahead studio for that guitar, maybe in the $450-550 range?

9. radiolab

radiolab Member

Don't do it. Donate the money to a homeless shelter instead.

10. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

11. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

They are cheap. If you really want an LP I'd say get it. Otherwise, the SG is a great value as well.

12. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I had one. Wish I had never sold it.

13. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

get it. my # 2 is the explorer version.
    [​IMG]

14. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Issues that have plagued these guitars: sharp fret ends, poor fret work and poorly cut nuts. I've even seen an asymmetrically warped neck -- the kind of warp that you can't correct with the truss rod.

Try before you buy, and expect to drop some money on tech work.

15. lowedt

lowedt Member

Cant do it. wish I still had mine . It was by FAR the most resonant electric guitar Ive ever had due to the lack of finish I assume. great guitar

16. blackmonday

blackmonday Member

I had one, it was great but i didn't bond with it.

Since you're asking us to talk you out of it (weird) - notice how many responders are saying they used to own one.

17. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Interesting point. In my case, it was a matter of thinning the herd to get funds toward the purchase of another amp, which I no longer own either. I would rather have the guitar back than have the amp back! It was an easy choice at the time to let this one go. I didn't have a lot invested in it, since it was inexpensive to begin with, and I hadn't made any lasting upgrades to it. I've found that the Gibson name on a guitar makes a big difference in resale value, regardless of the model or its value, as opposed to an Epi or other budget line guitar.

18. Last

Last Member

I've refinished a fair share of these due to the factory (or lack of) finish.

I've seen a few duds and a couple that were absolutely incredible. Seriously. One that crossed my bench I almost tried to buy off my client. lol

Look for one that is at best 2 piece body or 3. Stay away from any that are more than that. Gibson does actually use scraps of Mahogany that either weren't the right size or didn't pass quality control in order to make it into their higher end guitars. I'm talking specifically about the 2 or 3 piece bodies here. (the one that floored me was three piece btw, but the 3rd piece only made up the very tip of the horn, the timber was remarkably resonant).

The ones that are 4 or more are literally seconds/scraps pieced together as a bottom line entry level Gibson.

If you can find one that meets the above criteria I'd grab one in a heart beat.

Great value, but choose carefully.

19. karaterick

karaterick Member

I think there are better non Gibson LP style guitars for the money.
    I have 2 Agiles that I owned at the same time I owned a Studio. The Studio is long gone. I still have the Agiles. Real tops ebony fretboard quality hardware.
    Also ESP LTDs and a few others. Imo you can get more for the money.

20. Last

Last Member

Totally and completely agree with ya karaterick.

Unfortunately @ resale values they had better be something you either don't mind losing money on, bought them cheaply or plan on keeping it.

It's the rest of the market that for reasons that really shouldn't make a difference make even a bad sounding instrument sell for more than an excellent one from a different manufacturer.

So, taking that into consideration as well should make your choice, uh... even more confusing. Ha!