Talk me out of (or into!) buying another one!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ndnikola, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ndnikola

ndnikola Member

This is the first thread I have ever started here, so please be gentle !

I am a part time session musician (have a full time day job), playing with a couple of pop artists/bands of the brit-pop variety. I cover anything from early beatles to kaiser chiefs to even some u2 as well as some american modern alternative stuff as well. We gig twice a month on average, and I have also recently started doing studio work in upcoming albums).I also play in a band that has its own original material, of textural/post rock/jazz/soundtrack influences. On my own (at home), I practice on blues/jazz standards, but also experiment with 'textural' playing through wobbly delays, using the ebow and what you could call 'dream pop' stuff. I have also started playing the theremin (ok, this is a separate issue :) ).

So far I have spent good money in the gear that I own and use, which includes the following:

Haar Custom 60's Telecaster (peter florance voodoo pickups)
    Gibson ES335 plain cherry (classic 57's)
    Taylor 616ce

Amp is a 20 W Koch Studiotone that has worked very well on its own (in gigs where there is just me and a keyboard player) and with the following pedal chain:

modded crybaby->fuzz factory->ctc ziggy overdrive->bearfoot DRD->custom audio mc 401->lovepedal babyface->malekko vibrato->malekko chicklet->eventide timefactor->polytune->line6 m9 (sometimes)

Even though the above gear takes me most places I need/want to go, i feel sometimes that maybe another guitar would provide me with more ground to cover. Of course, I don't want to end up with too many electrics, so I really want to think this through, as I feel a certain level of serenity with having few-but-good guitars.

-A les paul could be that guitar, although I have a feeling that I can cover most of its ground with the ES335
    -I am a bit tired of strats, I used to own a decent one but would always put it down in favor of the tele. The latter could be a point against a jaguar and maybe a jazzmaster (though I have only played a jm once and it was a beat up japanese reissue)
    -I have tried a 360 ric but could not get used to the neck. Great sound though, albeit not too versatile - it does its thing extremely well, to its credit. Of course, I may be misjudging the instrument, although the neck issue is important
    -A gretsch may do the trick but I have yet to play with a higher end one (the electromatic did not really do it for me)

Following the above, I keep returning to the thoughts of a 57 vos les paul junior I tried once. Am I mistaken to believe that a p90 guitar (other p90 or other options are also welcome!) would provide me with more usable sound canvas given the above musical directions? Or should I stick to the gear I have ? Bear in mind that I consider (ok, up to now!) myself mostly GAS-cured, so talking me out of this could be a good option!

Many thanks in advance!
    Nick

2. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

I personally would get a Grosh Electrajet. Amazing P-90 guitars (or any pickup configuration for that matter)

3. =JL=

=JL= Member

Honestly and objectively? I think you already have it covered, with those two guitars, a decent amp and your pedal chain.
    You're kind of either side of P90 territory, but close enough to get that sort of feel, certainly in the studio.
    As a session player, I have a cheap Strat with good pickups, purely for the 2 and 4 positions. I hate those sounds, but there are times when it's demanded of you.
    Other than that, the only thing you're missing is a vibrato bridge, but again, you may not have a use for it anyway.

4. ndnikola

ndnikola Member

Thanks for the responses so far!
    I most certainly would like to play a Grosh some time, kind of hard to get to it outside the US though. Thanks for the suggestion!
    I see your point, and to be honest, I do feel that I can get away with almost anything in the studio with my current gear. A vibrato bridge would be welcome play-wise, but I am quite hesitant considering the sound difference with a fixed bridge guitar ('softening', in lack of a better term), especially in rhythm playing. That said, I would love to try a bigsby equipped collings 290 S, just to ensure that the vibrato would not get in the way of my sound. In most cases, though, I do get the feeling that I have it covered :). All in all, thanks for the advice!

5. romo

romo Supporting Member

I have a '57 VOS Jr, and I love it. It is much more versatile than one would think. I play lead and rhythm in a cover band that probably does a lot of the kinds of things you do (starting at the Beatles and going to My Morning Jacket). I can play a whole gig with the Jr. I think the P90 would be a good in between sound for the guitars you already have. If you end up going with a Gibson P90 guitar, definitely get one with the wrap around instead the tunematic. The wrap around gives my Jr this presence and bite that I have not ever heard in Gibsons with a tunematic.

6. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

How are the Haar guitars? I was wondering because that's my last name, maybe he will give me a deal if Im a long lost relative. :) OK maybe not...

7. ndnikola

ndnikola Member

Thanks! I was also considering going for the cheaper (non VOS) gloss lp jr with the obeche fretboard to satisfy my curiosity (while saving some money); these have the intonated version of the wraparound bridge (I think). I too believe in the versatility of this guitar, and do not think that it would limit my range in a gig. As always, the problem is that I would have to order before trying it out, which could be a problem in this case. Any other suggestions?

8. ndnikola

ndnikola Member

:rotflmaoYou never know! This is the manufacturer's website, should you wish to contact him.The guitar is absolutely amazing: light, resonant, killer neck and great playability! All I could ask of a tele and then some!

9. ndnikola

ndnikola Member

Bump: any other opinions? Would you consider another guitar if you already owned a 335 and a telly?

10. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

[​IMG]
    you need one of these. just for contrast.