• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Talk me out of selling my 2000s EHX DMM.

zhivago

Put it this way, if you do sell it and regret it a year on, you will definitely pay more to get another.

This happened to me years and years ago, but with a silver Klon Centaur. Thought I was done using it as I was more about plugging in straight to a Tweed Deluxe which gave me all the OD in the world...so sold it, regretted it a couple of years later and ended up having to pay almost double to what I sold my old one for. That one hurt the wallet for sure. not going down that road again! ;)

The prices for big box DMMs are climbing, and for good reason, I recently bought a second one, in fact, so I should be set for life. :cool:

Frosted Glass

They’ll only get rarer and more valuable, so “buying back in” down the line might not be so easy...

I sold off all my vintage stuff about 2009 to fund a backpacking holiday. This was stuff I’d accumulated over the years on EBay. Back then heaps of vintage stuff was showing up on EBay as people were becoming savvy to it and closets/attics could being cleaned out without the hassle of a “yard sale”.

Point is my stuff sold for a fraction of what is sells for today even though not all that much time has passed. The vintage pedal market has really climbed over the last decade. Who knows when the ceiling will be hit but if I could have my time again I’d have kept my pedals and worked an extra few weeks instead.

slowerhand

Silver Supporting Member
Depends how you use it. If you just want to fatten up your leads a bit, many delay pedals can do that. With the rig you have in mind, it doesn't sound like you're the shoegaze type.

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
I'm keeping mine even though I have other delays. There are other delays that can occupy the same space in the mix but nothing else matches it, especially the level knob.

dirtytony

Really on the brink of selling it. Thinking about selling everything and just using a FullDrive3 and an RE-20. Have I lost my mind?
not at all... GREAT move... feel free to send it to me for a proper free evaluation of the pedal, I have a huge backlog so it will take some time but I will send it back someday....

orogeny

Don't do it...nothing else sounds like it! RE-20 is a great tape delay...but you will miss the DMM modulation...I've been down this road once before. I have both again...after selling my first DMM to @orogeny -- that was a mistake...but I made a good friend from the sale. Go figure.
That was so long ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whateverdude

Gold Supporting Member
If it sounds good, keep it! But the RE-20 is awesome. I sold my big box DMM with MN3005’s and replaced it with an XO with MN3008’s, and I much prefer the XO, believe it or not. Probably down to calibration, but my XO can handle hot signals much better
My Big Box has no problems handling hot signals, I have an XO, it has the Xvive 3005’s and I like it a lot. The Preamp isn’t as good but I still like it .

abby_normal

I've loved my DMM since the day I bought it. Used it for almost twenty years, but took it off my board about five years ago. When times were simpler a Route 66 OD and the DDM made a pretty good rig and I used just that for many years. I was getting a little tired of the sound and wanted to try something different so bought some new overdrives and delay/reverbs. Every time I tried to reintegrate the DMM back on the board the preamp would mess with all of my other pedals, sometimes in a good way, but mostly in a bad way, so I put it away in my gear locker. Was thinking about getting it modded but decided against it and recently sold it.

So far I only slightly regret it.

kakev

It’s noisy and intrusive. By intrusive i mean you dont use it, it uses you. it doesnt sit in background it’s always in your face. It you can probably get pretty decent amount of money when you sell it. I think the prices arent going any higher. So dont sell it because it may have sentimental value.

HomeInMyShoes

I like having two options for delay so I wouldn't do it. Everything else sure, but I like a second delay for ambient and background sound.

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
If you don't have to sell it, keep it. They're getting harder to find at normal prices and will only go up. I've sold a bunch and keep coming back to them. NOTHING sounds like the 90's and 2000's reissues. I don't care what anyone says, when you're looking at the vibrato modulation + 250-375ms sparkle delay there's just nothing that sounds like that.

Now, if you're just using it for stock BBD delay type tones and don't care to keep it for those reasons above, you could move on to something else for sure.

Honestly, I'd keep and use both the echo units you have.

Acrobattico

You MUST sell it right away, so there’s gonna be someone who will enjoy it for you. The world needs another future post from you claiming “I never expected that old DMM would be the best delay ever and I regretted everyday since”.

Come on man...

Trending Topics