• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

talk me out of selling my 60's tribute LP!

jcv

Since I got this guitar I've become a total Les Paul guy. I also have a Les Paul Special with humbuckers which has become my #1. The 60's tribute is an awesome guitar and I love it. It plays and sounds fantastic but I really can't stand the hum. I don't play high gain stuff but a lot of our set list involves me having my Crunchbox on with the gain level at around 10 - 11 o'clock. The hum is just driving me nuts.

I thought of noisless p90's or mini-hums but boy are those expensive! That's really not an option for me right now so I've been thinking I could sell the 60's tribute and buy a Studio Faded. I think that would be totally doable especially if I buy used.

I sure will miss the 60's tribute though... I guess I just want some opinions on this. I like having guitars that I play - no case queens for me.

thanks

Don't sell it. Save for the noiseless pickups.

The electronics are easy to replace. Wood that makes you happy isn't.

jimmyohio75

Since I got this guitar I've become a total Les Paul guy. I also have a Les Paul Special with humbuckers which has become my #1. The 60's tribute is an awesome guitar and I love it. It plays and sounds fantastic but I really can't stand the hum. I don't play high gain stuff but a lot of our set list involves me having my Crunchbox on with the gain level at around 10 - 11 o'clock. The hum is just driving me nuts.

I thought of noisless p90's or mini-hums but boy are those expensive! That's really not an option for me right now so I've been thinking I could sell the 60's tribute and buy a Studio Faded. I think that would be totally doable especially if I buy used.

I sure will miss the 60's tribute though... I guess I just want some opinions on this. I like having guitars that I play - no case queens for me.

thanks
Funny you should mention LP Specials with humbuckers. I used to own an LP with P-90's and I had the same problem as you with the annoying HUM. I play high gain stuff and the hum was killing me. I sold the P-90 guitar and bought a Special Faded with humbuckers. I was looking for a 60's neck LP with buckers that was cheap (not many options out there that fit this criteria). I bought my Special off E-Bay for $625. It was my #1 for over a year. I recently upgraded to the new LP Special pro which is a GC exclusive model. It's basically a hot rodded Special with humbuckers but it has the gloss finish (wine red). Those Specials with humbuckers pop up on E-Bay all the time and they are great guitars for the price of an Epiphone. I would sell the Tribute and get another Special!!!:bonk

whitewave

it'll be difficult to get another Les Paul with such a good q/p ratio.
it'll be easy to get a couple of noiseless pickup.

bal704

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe try a set of RWRP P-90's. The middle position is basically hum free, as the 2 pickups act as a humbucker. I've heard you can alter the original set in your Gibby. I installed a set of Reilander pickups in my LP with P-90's. Same great P-90 tone, but no hum in the middle position.

SG_Seth

Silver Supporting Member
Throw an ad in the emporium and see if anyone wants to swap their 60s tribute with humbuckers for yours. I believe they made a limited run of the 60s with buckers.

Totally Bored

Can't help you because I sold my 60's tribute for the same reason and I didn't want to spend the $300 + or - to get rid of the hum :bonk

jimmyohio75

Throw an ad in the emporium and see if anyone wants to swap their 60s tribute with humbuckers for yours. I believe they made a limited run of the 60s with buckers.
I have been looking for a 60's Tribute with buckers for months...I don't think such a guitar exists!!:huh

jaxn slim

I just got a pair of minihums out of a '75 Les Paul Deluxe for $100 on CL. Probably could have gotten them even cheaper if I'd tried hard enough. Keep an eye out.

Soul Man

Local 83
Gold Supporting Member
Sell it and find something that is the total package for you. It's not irreplaceable if you ever want to come back to one in the future.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Fact is, even noiseless P90s aren't, imho, high gain material.

Get what will work.

FuzzGazer

Since I regret every guitar I've ever sold, I no longer sell guitars.

This guitar spoke to you for a reason.

ManliusGuitar

If it doesn't work for your setup and gigs, I think you can move it along and find something of equal value that will work for what you need. I imagine you can get an equal trade somewhere here on TGP and you won't have to waste time seeing if you like the result of an electronic and pickup swap....

rabbuhl

I am not playing with high-gain but you might consider that a used set of the non-hum alternatives (Lollar, Fralin) might give you a solution. I had a pair of hum-cancelling P-90s that I planned to put in my 50's Tribute. However, I really liked the Gibson P-90s so I sold the hum-cancelling P-90s. If figured a lot of people use Gibson, Lollar, and Fralin P-90s without a problem with hum.

Trending Topics