Talk me out of selling my AX8..

McGurk

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling mostly talked out of it. I still want to try one of the amps in person, just in case it knocks my socks off, but I'll probably just keep the AX8 and try to save up for a speaker upgrade. I also will try to practice more restraint on the tinkering side of things.

I'm definitely considering a Katana for the speaker. Those of you who have used modelers through Katanas, when going through the effects return, is the EQ similar to an FRFR or would I be disabling the cab sim and using it as a powered cab?

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks everyone! I'm feeling mostly talked out of it. I still want to try one of the amps in person, just in case it knocks my socks off, but I'll probably just keep the AX8 and try to save up for a speaker upgrade. I also will try to practice more restraint on the tinkering side of things.

I'm definitely considering a Katana for the speaker. Those of you who have used modelers through Katanas, when going through the effects return, is the EQ similar to an FRFR or would I be disabling the cab sim and using it as a powered cab?

I had a Katana 100 and upgraded the speaker and still didn't like it. It sounded darker than I'd expect and I wasn't 100% confident it wasn't EQ'ing the signal. Effects like delay and reverb for instance were still active even using the power amp return.

On the cheap, if you can grab a decent condition 1x12 for about $200 and an EHX 44 magnum for about $100 that's probably the best bet. Swap out the speaker to your taste.

McGurk

I had a Katana 100 and upgraded the speaker and still didn't like it. It sounded darker than I'd expect and I wasn't 100% confident it wasn't EQ'ing the signal. Effects like delay and reverb for instance were still active even using the power amp return.

On the cheap, if you can grab a decent condition 1x12 for about $200 and an EHX 44 magnum for about $100 that's probably the best bet. Swap out the speaker to your taste.

I have no experience with the EHX 44 magnum. Do they have plenty of headroom for a modeler when playing with a drummer?

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I have no experience with the EHX 44 magnum. Do they have plenty of headroom for a modeler when playing with a drummer?

Oh, that I wouldn't count on...it's a pretty small class D amp that likely doesn't have enough headroom.

Another interesting one that's more all in one is the Tech 21 Power Engine Deuce Deluxe...it has a tweeter defeat switch that would get it close to a standard 1x12 cab with 200 watts of power. $450 I think.

Otherwise people like the SD Powerstage but that's starting at $400 plus the cab on top of it.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Besides using and AX8 and CLR, I also have a Katana 100 that I use for rehearsals when I give my CLR a rest.
AX8 into the fx return sounds fine...not as good as the CLR but passable.
Katana on its own is not close to the AX8, IMO.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member

I've run the Helix, Kemper, Axe III thru it and no it's not even close to neutral. Definitely disable the speaker cab block and experiment with disabling the power amp as well. It has a Marshally sort of flavor to the power amp section so it should work well with any Marshall stuff that gets it's distortion from the preamp section.

That's what gets challenging about this stuff - each modeled amp design works differently.

But the thing I'd emphasize is that you may find you really don't need the AX8 at all with the Katana.

I don't know about you but especially at home I like things to be really quick and easy. Even with a "better" modeler available to me I usually end up plugging straight in to the Katana. It's got a great Marshall voicing and is every bit as responsive as any of the other modelers out there.

Everyone is different but I prefer not having to setup gear just to play for a few minutes..

The Katana really benefits from spending a bit of time with the software plugged in. I set it so that the EQ now sounds good at noon...makes it easier to adjust. And the EQ section is really powerful. Definitely figure out how to do the whole "sneaky" amp thing so you can additional amp models.

geezberry

there are massive supply disruptions in China due to Coronavirus so i don't see the "headphone" batch of FM3's coming anytime soon. The initial batch will be sold out very soon and will be many months before more are available

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
if i find a way to get you that amp and pedal, will you trade? I would be MEGA happy with having another AX8..I wish I had been able to keep it..

ElectricPhase

If you want to try a Katana, I'd recommend going into the acoustic 'channel' rather than the effects return, and pretending its an FRFR setup. Not perfect, but pretty okay-ish. It helped me out once in a pinch.

Top Bottom