Talk to me about current production SD antiquity humbuckers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hotmod, May 8, 2015.

1. hotmod

hotmod Member

Should I go for it? Looking for paf sweet and woody tone that won't squeal on high volumes.

2. hotmod

hotmod Member

3. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I've got some in an SG Standard and love them for the reasons you stated.

4. AkrW

AkrW Member

I LOVE my antiquities. The bridge and neck are well balanced. They are really dynamic and warm with just the right amount of bite.

5. jasons7

jasons7 Supporting Member

I can't say they have the sounds you are looking for. But, I am super happy with my set. I got what I was looking for out of them which I think fits your description. They are unpotted, so squealing is a possibility. But I hit my amp (Marshall Vintage Modern), pretty hard with stacked overdrives and it stays together. I don't do real high gain though. But I am guessing if you are considering Antiquities, you don't do high gain either.

6. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

For the money, you'll have a hard time finding a better pickup than SD's original "Boutique" PAF pickup. You can spend three or four times more but you'll be splitting hairs. I've got an '01 set in an '01 '59 Historic Les Paul that sound awesome.....lately I've been using the nickle covers from recent sets and installed them on an uncovered black set of SD Slash Pro II's with the aged screws on my 2010 VOS Gold Top and also replaced the covers and screws on a recent set of the SD Joe Bonamassa PAF's.......didn't like the looks of the ones that come on them from SD. You can do a LOT worse than the Antiquities.

7. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Antiquities and PAF/Low Wind HB's can be great for high gain. Most of my HB's are lower wind and I play high gain (well not only high gain, but it is a tone I use frequently). I find they actually keep the Bass a bit more together and allow more complex chords to still ring and separate out, rather than just being a compressed wall of gain with a central tonality (which is what high output HB's and high gain sound like to me with more complex chords).