• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Talk to me about Marshall cleans

dB

Silver Supporting Member
I've always gone for big clean Fender type amps (Fender Supers, Bruno CT's, Carr Rambler, Fender Twin...to name a few that I have owned) and never even considered Marshall's for a clean tone. I'm always surprised when I see someone suggest a Plexi for a clean amp - but then again I am not too fluent with them. I've always associated them with a very mid-heavy OD type of tone. Can someone set me straight? Are there some good recorded examples of great Marshall cleans out there?

Birddog

I got a Marshall JVM 210 this past fall, and am very impressed with its clean channel. I also have a Fender TRRI, and thought about moving to a two-amp rig for gigging so I'd still have the Fender cleans, but the JVM clean is more than adequate. A bit more throaty than then Fender, but still nice and chimey, particularly with single-coils. But even with my LP, I get more than passable cleans with the Marshall.

hot lava mike

I own a hand wired JTM 45- absolutely love the cleans I get from it- very piano like, very pleasing to my ear. Not harsh, just warm. Doesn't really have that glassy feel that other Marshalls might- I don't know, it's just right.
Also, I've always loved the Rain Song tones on the Song Remains the Same soundtrack...pretty sure that is a Marshall..although I could be mistaken.

jackaroo

The clean tone is where it's at on the old Marshall style bass heads.1986, JTM45/100 and Super Bass are the best!

The dirt is great too!
J

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I have a voodoo modded JCM800 2205, I compared the clean channel to my '64 Fender Vibroverb before I sold it. With an american type speaker in an open back cab, it sounded extremely close when dialed in for cleans. Of course, overdrive is different. The biggest difference was the reverb ... vintage Fenders have a haunting reverb that can't be beat.

joolzriff

there was an amp made by marshall called the ARTISTE in the mid 70's,it never took off,i think it was their version of a fender esc type amp...very clean even on 10......i own one...even has a reverb

GeLoFi

Silver Supporting Member
JTM45 was based on the Bassman, no doubt it has nice cleans, just not blackface style.

marantz1300

I'm interested in this thread. I have a 74 Hiwatt ,all Mullard.I'm GASing for a Marshall. I might have to trade or sell my Hiwatt which has lovely smooth cleans. I.m afraid I might miss it.Have any of you had both?

dB

Silver Supporting Member
The clean tone is where it's at on the old Marshall style bass heads.1986, JTM45/100 and Super Bass are the best!

The dirt is great too!
J
Do I recall seeing a thread where you had just gotten a vintage Marshall head? Which one did you get?

Is there anyone making these type of Marshall clones, but with great reverb?

Yankee Univox

I'm interested in this thread. I have a 74 Hiwatt ,all Mullard.I'm GASing for a Marshall. I might have to trade or sell my Hiwatt which has lovely smooth cleans. I.m afraid I might miss it.Have any of you had both?
Dude,keep the Hiwatt! Pick up a used Marshall,or clone.:boxer

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
A buddy of mine picked up a Germino Classic 45, and it kills! Really nice cleans, and run some reverb between the stages some really sweet sounding stuff. All hand built P2P wired.

http://www.germinoamps.com/

AstroStrat89

I've been surprised by the clean tones of the Marshall Lead 20. I got the amp to do the AC/DC thing, and it does a pretty good clean Jimi thing too.

BadAssBill

They aren't chimey, I had mine cranked through a 2x12 a while back with a strat and it sounded very SRV Little Wing'ish.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
I absolutely love Marshally cleans. The emphasis on the mids and highs does it for me.

Go to http://www.germinoamps.com/ and listen to the Classic 45 and Club 40 sound and video clips. Same with Mojave and the clean links.

cram

the low input of a jcm800 sound great to me. I never use it live because I like the high input for the music we play though.

PFCG

the dont exist?

who buys a marshall for cleans anyways?

Just kidding :D I always liked the kinda breakup clean tone from a good marshall!

Trending Topics