Talk to me about Noise Suppressors guys

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock Fella, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

I got a Boss NS2 off Ebay for a measly £15 , I wonder if there are pedals out there to suppress noise that are better performers than the boss ?

My hellcat goes well into high gain and I play it loud, id like something that suppresses feedback squeals and when I stop playing instantly silences everything, does such a pedal exist ?

I simply put the NS after my Boss TU2 tuner and Arion Flanger and it does an ok job , but Id like a pedal that reacts faster and creates total silence,

any help appreciated

jimmy

2. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

iSP Decimator. From Tone Merchants, they have it in stock.

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

does it outperform a NS2 ?

4. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

Yeah, by a long way. iSP invented Noise Reduction as far as I know. I am planning to buy one shortly. But I don't know whether or not I want to buy a rack or not. I cant decide.

5. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

The NS-2 seems to work better suppressing noise caused by dirt pedals before your amp. If you follow the instructions and put the pedals in a loop within the NS-2, IMO it does a great job. If the amp itself is noisy without using pedals, I'm not sure that the NS-2 will help much.

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

You dont need no dirt pedal with a high gainer like the Hellcat , but because I play it so loud with the band , there can be noise in bits where the gtr doesnt feature , i roll the gtr vol down but there can be amp noise due to its high gain sound.

I want the noise gate to kick in as soon as I stop playing and instantly cut out when i start playing again.

is the isp decimator up to this requirement ?

7. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

It most certainly is. Its speciality in fact. Say goodbye to amp noise.

8. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

right, im convinced , highly strung in the uk has em for £79, gotta be worth a go, cheers dude.:dude
    jimmy

9. unphotogenic

unphotogenic Member

If you put a patch cable from the send to the return it helps alot. It's supposed to be a loop for your noisey pedals but even with just a patch cable between the jacks it helps alot. I used to get alot of squeel with the NS-2 until i put the patch cable in, its like night and day.

10. marcusprice

marcusprice Member

11. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I teched for a guy back in the late 80s/early 90s that used a Rocktron Hush, and got one for myself soon after. I've always run it through the FX loop of a noisy amp, especially for recording, and gotten a lot of mileage from its noise reduction there.

They can be quite tonally transparent if you get the right one and learn how to use it *just* enough to cut out the noise. Good stuff.

--chiba

12. stevieray

stevieray Member

Before you spring for a Decimator, take David-R's suggestion and run the NS-2 like it was designed to be run. If your guitar hits the NS-2 first and you run everything else in the loop, it basically works like a high end downward expander. The "gating" effect will be based on what comes from your guitar only, and you can set the sensitivity to your liking. You could try it all the way around your preamp. I'm sure the ISP is nice, but I was really impressed with the NS-2 and I think you will be too if you use it to its fullest potential. It won't cost you anything to try!

13. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

placed the order for a decimator today:D

14. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

There is no noise suppressor that will fully take care of everything, but the Boss NS-2 and ISP Decimator are both very good. I didn't notice the ISP being much more effective than the Boss to be honest. Both are well worth the money and far superior to any of the HUSH, MXR units IMHO (I had a HUSH Super C at one time as well). :)

15. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Long time NS-2 user here, about ten years worth of gigs. Before that, when I was running high gain amps, I used the (discontinued) BOSS NS-50 half rack unit, which worked like a champ. I don't know how current HUSH units fare, but the various rack units I tried in the mid-late 80's were the most godawful tone suckers I've ever heard in my life. Yuk!

16. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Decimator.
    Works well- doesn't pump. Doesn't suck tone. Very decisive.

17. vroom

vroom Member

Sorry to revive a dead topic, but I'm wondering if I can quiet down my 5150 Combo. I'm not running any pedals; it's just that the lead channel is quite noisey by itself.

18. Yek

Yek Member

The NS-2 is great for quieting down noisy pedals. Use its loop for that. But for high gain pre-amps you need a noise gate in the amp's fx loop. There are some players who use a NS-2 in the fx loop, but that's not really its forte IMO.

The ISP Decimator (rack version: ProRackG) is not cheap but it's fantastic value. One channel quiets stuff before the pre-amp, the second channel (inserted in the amp's fx loop) kills the high gain noise effectively. No more guitar hum, noise from lights, etc. Very easy to adjust. And, very important, one setting suffices for clean and dirty sounds.

19. Wayne8

Wayne8 Member

I use the Decimator. No more noise. Doesn't mess up sustain. Invented by the same guy who invented the Hush. Different company now and different technologies. In his opinion, better than the Hush.

20. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

+1 for the Decimator pedal. Gets it done. Doesn't pump or suck tone, under $100. Less if you find one used.