Talk to me about Orange Squeeze Compressors

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cber1517, Jul 16, 2008.

1. cber1517

cber1517 Member

I hear that OS type compressors add a little grit and color to your tone. I'm a fan of Mark Knopfler and I understand he used one of the first Dire Straits record. As a Strat player, I'm understand in getting Mark's clean tone and wouldn't mind a different flavor of compressor other than what I currently have (see below.)

For that type of compression (Dan Armstrong made the original I think) what pedals do you recommend? I know there are several so please share opinions. Thanks!

:munch

2. zion

zion Supporting Member

Analogman's take on the Orange is really good. His Bi-Comp will give you variety - Orange on one side and the Ross style on the other. The Orange side launched me into Dire licks no problem. I prefered it to the Ross side. Fit my style better. More pumpy with country snap.

My favorite comp overall is the Mad Professor. Has the incredibly useful tone of the BJFE comp with the added feature of the sustainer (via toggle switch).

3. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

4. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Did you get one of the prototypes?

When will they be released anyway?

You should post some clips...

5. Deaj

Deaj Member

If you're looking to buy an Orange Squeezer type compressor you'd be hard pressed to do better than the AnalogMan Juicer. As mentioned above the very versatile AnalogMan BiComp and Mini BiComp both include the Juicer as one of two discreet compressor circuits (the other is an improved Ross/Dynacomp type circuit). The Mini BiComp is the way to go IMHO - compact size, amazing versatility, and no waiting list (according to the AnalogMan site).

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can build your own using the$50 General Guitar Gadgets OSQ kit. I've assembled a couple of these and they are spot-on - every bit as good as the Juicer in a side-by-side comparison.

6. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

you can build one off perfboard if you know how to use a soldering iron and it will sound as good as anything i've tried.

diystompboxes.com has some layouts to follow.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

I really liked the Analogman one, especially as a boost for playing slide licks. Mmmm...

8. Ed G.

Ed G. Senior Member

Does anyone find the OS kind of brightens up the sound of the guitar?

9. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

I've got the BiComp, really great.

But if you're using humbuckers I wouldn't recommend the Squeezer... because of the higher input (into the pedal) it effectively lowers the threshold, and after the initial transient is compressed (attack), the quick release results in pumping (sudden 'surge') - at least with my PRS.

But it has a really nice colour and warmth.

10. paulgroove82

paulgroove82 Supporting Member

Try the Phoenix Custom Electronics Cream Tangerine (http://www.phoenixcustomelectronics.com/pix.html) - it's a really faithful reproduction and does just what you're talking about. I leave it on all of the time and it's increidbly responsive and adds a touch of a spongy quality. Also, Alex is a GREAT guy to deal with!

You're welcome to stop by and try it anytime - I'm about 5 minutes south of the airport.

11. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I have one of the Mad Professor Forest Green Comp prototypes, and so does Zion. It kicks major butt and should be available within the next few months. Probably around september they should be getting easier to find.

I can't do clips right now, but I can tell you that the compressor side is the best I have heard for compression overall. Extremely usable many great tones- but definitely has an audable effect on your tone. The Sustainer switch makes it so that the pedal is almost transparent- but it heightens sustain and clarity and still compresses the signal a bit, but without the tonal change or attack effects of the compression side. The sustainer is one of those "all of the sustain you like, but for people who don't like compressors" thing.

That said, the only other compressors I've liked were the Barber (very clean and clear and nice- like the vodka of compressors) and the Analogman stuff (dirty and strong like a spiced rum). The Mad Professor nails both tones in spades and more. The sustainer can do sustain without the crushed attack, and the compression mode can add anything from a light compression to squishier tones.

12. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I have tried a few of the clones out there (Baja Tech, Tone Factor) and the Analogman is way out in front IMO. I replaced my AM Juicer with a Mini Bi-Comp (mostly because I hate the bright orange color of the Juicer) - but I really hardly ever use the Ross side. the Juicer side is just sooo musical sounding.

13. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I have the discontinued Tonefactor Pulp Mill, which is an OS clone with volume and blend controls to vary between boost and compression (like the Barber Tonepress idea I guess). I like it more than any of the Ross/Dynacomps I've tried, including the Keeley. Maybe you can convince Brad Fee to bring out a Mojo Hand version.

14. funkycam

funkycam Member

In my experience (I had a pulpmill) an OS does not add brightness, quite the reverse, it adds warmth & sweetness & a very elastic feeling compression.

15. steinwand

steinwand Member

:agreemy Pulp Mill will never leave my board.
    It's incredible tweakable for a squeezer type comp
    (internal trimpots for compression, overall gain and compression gain)
    I think Bob McBroom build those kind of comps for Tonefactor,
    initially it was called the Sqeeze Factor.

16. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I have the BBE Orange Squash (actually mine is the first edition, called the Main Squeeze, but they had to change the name). I haven't compared it to an original OS, but the BBE is great, simple, and well built. It's only $120 new, but I got mine on Ebay in new condition for $50. True bypass, and does the job for me.

Al

17. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Thanks man! I may take you up on that sometime! I may go down to Rock Block this weekend and try the Juicer. Much appreciated!

:dude

18. cber1517

cber1517 Member

:drool - sounds awesome! I'm sure it will be pretty expensive though, huh? :eek:

19. Ed G.

Ed G. Senior Member

I say 'brightness' but it's not the upper end, it sort of cleans up the mids. Kinds of gives it clarity. I built one from the schematic and always wondered if I did it right. It doesn't seem to have a whole lotta squash as far as I can tell, but I use a strat. I think if I had a guitar with more output, it would hit the compressor harder and that would squash more.

20. RocknTommy

RocknTommy Member

Years ago I had the small version that would plug into the guitar.
    That was some funny trend they had going.
    I miss that little box. Not sure what ever happened to it.