• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Talk to me about power conditioners and filters

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Most places my amps are very quiet, but at our rehearsal space and occasionally at clubs, it's crazy noisy. At our rehearsal space, the clean channel hums really loudly, and hisses almost as loudly as my playing on the drive channel. Is there an kind of relatively inexpensive fix for this?

sled

Move the amp/setup around in the room. Difference?

Only the Amp and Gtr? Different outlet?

Large transformer nearby?

Florescent light fixtures?

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Different outlet in the rehearsal space makes a difference. Sometimes a ground lift in clubs helps.

I'm just wondering if a good power conditioner can remove the noise whatever the cause.

Norjef

Can be reverb tank "polarization" -try turning amp.
Can be efx pedal ontop of amp near/over transformer.

Heady Jam Fan

Try an Ebtech Hum X first.

Tripp Lite makes good power units cheap - Line Conditioners and Voltage Regulators. I had one and didn't notice a difference - most of my noise comes from RF interference I think and my Voodoo Labs PP2+ does a good job power-wise.

Geetarpicker

Quite often noise situations in guitar are caused by light dimmers and/or fluorescents. Sadly it seems most of the noise from these situations is airborn and nothing you put on the AC line will help the situation by a notable amount. The only thing I've found that helps is to use humbuckers, or for my single coil strats a Suhr hum cancelling back plate works well. That said, if your amp is noisy on it's own (with the guitar down) it may have some shielding issues in it's design, same for your pedal board.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
One thing that is cool about the Variax guitars is that the modeled pick-ups are way less susceptible to EMI. I've used several Tripp-lite products. They work well but are heavyish so I don't want to haul them around to gigs where I have to park downtown and carry my gear several blocks.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Platinum Supporting Member
A better cable can be shielded better. And make sure the sound cables are running perpendicular to power cables if they cross. At the back of the amp where your power cable is if you use a head cab set up make sure they are crossing at right angles. Sounds crazy but it can help.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
It's not a cable issue and it's not an amp issue as it happens at different places with different amps, and depending which outlet I plug into at our rehearsal place it gets a lot worse.

amphog

Unfortunately, there is not a inexpensive, liteweight solution. A better quality, battery type UPS will work.

I'm having a similar problem since moving, but I haven't tried fixing it yet.

Some possibilities

Isolation transformer, still portable

Sola transformer, google that one, they've got a patented design but it's really clean power and the voltage regulation is far better than any conventional furman type tapped transformer. Possibly portable...

Elgar lab conditioner/ac power supply. These are probably the best money could buy, and they sometimes go cheap on eBay. They look mighty heavy!

I think all those possibilities are going to be cheaper than the obvious choices, too...

lkft

99% of the time the lack of a ground wire connected to the receptacle is the culprit. Do yourself a favor and pickup one of these at Home Depot for less than $20...

...and check the receptacle you're plugging into and if it tests bad have it corrected or turn the power off to the circuit and fix it yourself w/a pair of pliers and a screwdriver providing you feel comfortable w/that type of thing. It's a real easy fix.

peterdjp

Silver Supporting Member
Most places my amps are very quiet, but at our rehearsal space and occasionally at clubs, it's crazy noisy. At our rehearsal space, the clean channel hums really loudly, and hisses almost as loudly as my playing on the drive channel. Is there an kind of relatively inexpensive fix for this?
Not really. Other than fixing the source of the problem as already mentioned or running a noise suppressor like an isp decimator.

I have a furman PL8 plus and units like that protect against surges but don't really eliminate major sources of line noise contrary to what they may advertise.

The biggest cause of line noise would be something like a refrigerator or lights on the same circuit as the amp is plugged into.

You could bring a very heavy duty extension cord and and find the outlet that has the least interference. Or use a noise suppressor.

teemuk

You could bring a very heavy duty extension cord and and find the outlet that has the least interference.
...And use an extension cord with built-in surge protection and line filter and you are already doing pretty much all a power conditioner would do.

Do note that power conditioners will not fix ground loops (which are the most common cause for noise and hum), airborne interference, poor filtering, lack of mains earth, or just noisy equipment overall. And they do not provide regulation. I would really try a cheap extension cord + filter setup before buying a $$$ conditioner and finding out it wasn't the real solution to the problem.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks. I have one of those line testers. I'll bring it along.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom