Talk To Me About Shuguang Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ausguitarman, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

I'm looking to try some new production tubes for my Miniplex.

I hear different things about these tubes but would like to try their 6550's and a few of their other tubes in my other amps (EL-84's and 12AX7's).

I've got some NOS tubes but I think at 12 watts running cranked I'm going to eat up power tubes.

If you've used them let me know your thoughts.

2. PaulM

PaulM Member

I've used their KT66's and KT88's extensively and like them both. I especially like their KT66. I have no experience with any of their preamp tubes.

3. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I've used Shuguang 12AX7's in my Shiva with pretty good results. Bogner actually recommends Chinese AX7's (like Shuguangs) for the Shiva.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The 12ax7's from Shugnang are what came in my Guytron. The tube has good output and seems very linear across the eq band. Some tubes Eh for example have a very noticable eq curve (Eh's kind of remind me of V30 speakers, lots of upper mids) the Shugnang's do not. The are perhaps a little darker then most tubes, in a way they king of remind of the Sovtek LPS, but the LPS can be a little bright in the highs (reminds me of a classic lead 80 speaker). Overall, they are great tubes, but personally I use a mixture because no one tube seems to do it all.

5. conundrum

conundrum Member

12AX7's - very consistent, a little dark, a little boring sounding, good stock tube
    KT66's- Excellent tube, best sounding new production KT66, low life
    EL34B- Excellent tube, very nice breakup, little loose on the low end.
    6L6GC - I prefer them over Russian 6L6's, not too harsh on the highs, a bit fragile though

6. uncle looie

uncle looie Member

I've been hearing a lot of complaints about Chinese KT66's as far as rattles, bias drifting, etc... have you had any of those problems with the Shuguangs? I've been using GT KT66HP's my Fender, but they're no longer available.

7. bryan k

bryan k Member

the preamp tubes ar pretty good......very consistant from batch to batch from the factory. good gain and drive, but the tone for me was a bit dull, and fizzy/hairy sounding. good general tube, and a good upgrade from a sovteck 12ax7WA.

the el34B is a great power tube. i belive its the same as a Ruby branded el34BSTR,......which i love em. Great sound, extended frequencies, more presence, and great over all sound and swirl when pushed hard/overdriven. one of my favorite el34 type.

8. conundrum

conundrum Member

I haven't had any rattle problems, but the bias does drift a bit if you don't burn them in first. I'm guessing this is because they like to be run so hot.

9. Phil M

Phil M Member

I just bought some of the Shuguang 12AX7s based on a recommendation from Doug Preston (www.dougstubes.com). I wasn't planning on using them in V1 though, just as good solid preamp tubes for the other slots. I'm using the Tung Sol 12AX7C for V1 in a couple of amps.

10. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Had some of their power tubes, I believe 6L6GC and KT66 hated them .. they sounded rather 'thin' I thought. These were matched pairs.
    I much preferred Svetlana tubes.

11. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Totally agree on the EL34. They rock!

12. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    The el34 sounds very good in my Allen Class Act II. Beat the hell out of the JJs I tried. And I'm otherwise a JJ power tube fan, run them in my 6l6 and el84 amps.

13. JeffMN

JeffMN Member

Another :AOK for the EL34s! I have been running them in various amps for a few years now. They sound great, and have never given me a problem. A great tube!!

14. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

+1 for the EL34B's...great tubes-

15. mmorse

mmorse Member

+2 for the EL34Bs. Only new production 34 I've used that sounds better IMO is the GT EL34M which is also made by Shuguang to GT "Mullard XF2" specs.

I've had no experience with their preamp tubes.

16. 5150loveeddie

5150loveeddie Member

For the KT66 ones you must get the 11th generation ones to get the reliability, earlier production ones sounds good but dies quick....I have a quad of GECs kt66 and my Golden Gragons are a hair less 3D"ish" then the GECs so a very good choice, best new production kt66 by far...

As for the el34b same thing same story.....

Can't say for the others (12ax7) but our Chinese friends are getter very good at it!!!!!

17. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

What exatly is burn in and how do you tell what generation the tube is.:jo

18. conundrum

conundrum Member

Burn in is when you set the bias and then let the amp cook into a dummy load for a couple hours, checking the bias and readjusting as necessary. As far as the generation, I'm not a chinese tube expert so someone else can clue me in as well.

19. 5150loveeddie

5150loveeddie Member

Yep, All tubes or most electronic parts needs a burn in period when NEW. New tubes will need about 5hrs, in those 5 hrs the bias will drift downward till its stabilize (4-5hrs) then your tubes would be "burned in" and should stay bias correctly....lots of provider will pre burned them before they sell there tubes....but not all of them....

For the generation (11th) I only know one person who knows all about it and deals directly with China and sells only the 11th generation kt66, el34B etc..., he offers a 30 or 60 days worranty on any fabrication defects, etc.... If you are interested shout me a PM/email and I'll give you his email etc....for those who knows "Tubetramp" that is the person!!

20. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

+1 I use them in my SHIVA and it sounds great, I did order a balanced triod for my phase inverter slot.