Talk to me about the Celestion G12-65

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ggman946, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ggman946

ggman946 Member

I'm interested to know more about Robben Ford's sound. I understand his favored speaker is the Celestion G12-65. Is this speaker of a greenback variety with a mid hump? Please help me place this speaker in my basic understanding of the spectrum of speaker types.

I hope this question makes sense. In my limited experimentation with speaker types, I've found I prefer a crisper attack than alnico magnet allow so I'm not interested in those anymore. I've found celestion greenbacks rather honky to my ear. Used to have the scumback equivalent of the celestion g12H variety in a Boogie Studio 22 that sounded heavenly. But that amp is long since gone. Currently using a Quilter 101R that I find practical, consistent and sounds good. Have tried several speaker types with this amp, mostly of the flat eq variety. The emi Cannabis Rex is good, but it is dark. I have positive experience with Emi Swamp Thang but they were so heavy I took a chance and replaced with a neo Emi Wheelhouse. Haven't had it long enough to make a conclusion on it yet but so far so good.

Anyway, I'm asking about the Celestion G12-65 because I like Robben Ford's tone. And I'm wondering if there is a higher watt version, or even a neo version of the same type of speaker? Just to further my experimentation...... Thanks...

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Once you change the magnet type you change the tone of the speaker. I found the neo magnets to sound sterile, and pretty lifeless, which is why I don't offer one (or with a neo tip on a ceramic or alnico magnet) anymore. While they are lighter in weight, they do something to the tone that's odd.

3. ggman946

ggman946 Member

I don't doubt that's true. Haven't had the neo long enough to draw my own conclusion though.