Talk to me about the Fender Eric Johnson RW Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by duaneallen, May 3, 2015.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I'm interested in hearing from someone who has one of these guitars. I have only ever played the maple neck one, and found the bending to be stiff. Is the rosewood one similar? How is the neck shape? How do you like the pickups? Thanks for any feedback.

2. Sparkman52

Sparkman52 Member

Great guitar. Much more playable than the maple model. Neck is a very soft V and fairly chunky. Pickups are just about perfect. Mine sounds just like a good early 60s Strat is supposed to sound…slightly meatier than a 50s maple style but still plenty of chime.

3. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

Anyone else? I'm losing the battle to fight the GAS.....I....can't......fight......

4. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Member

Sparkman52 nailed it. In my opinion, it's the perfect early '60s Strat copy. I believe the neck was duplicated from EJ's original '62.

5. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

There's no difference between a RW and a maple necked one besides the finish they use on the maple necked model.

6. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

And the fact the RW has binding....

7. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

I seem to recall that the pickups are a little different in the RW compared to the maple necked models. I have one and have played several others and to me they appear to be fairly consistent in quality.

8. GuitarPlaynTaylor

GuitarPlaynTaylor Member

The best strats I have played have been EJ rosewoods

9. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

the same exact pickup. although the rw model has 3 ply pick guard, and i do belive that altered the tone a tad.

my number 1 strat since i got it few years back

10. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Great Strat, they play so much easier than the maple versions in my experience of about half dozen of each.

The bridge pickup is slightly different spec, mildly hotter, according to videos EJ did unveiling the guitar.

11. mikebat

mikebat Member

That......is the most Eric Johnson thing about this thread so far!

Sorry, it made me smile.

thebeebs likes this.
  12. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

A while back I spent the day hitting up music shops playin strats.I was really surprised how much the Eric Johnson strat stood out compared to the others.I had no interest in the guitar prior to that.I played Jeff beck,Clapton,srv,kotzen signatures and a ton of other fender models.Most of them felt good but the ej just felt like perfection..It was rosewood with the bound neck.Only thing I wasn't to keen on was the strange blue color..If it was sunburst I probably would have had to abuse the credit card.haha..

13. rwijaya

i believe they do alter the tone a tad on the long run

the single ply construction wrap easily, as soon as it wrap, they also easy to move, sometime the warp makes the pickup even closer to the strings. you don't realizes this, but it does

i notices this after owning the maple neck EJ strat for 5 years, i tried getting the same tone the same on both the RW model and the maple.

measured everything down, copied it to each other, but the maple always end up sounding louder, until i realized, the single ply on that strat already warp a lot, making the neck pup so much closer to the string.

the pickup height on the RW version is a lot more stable imho since the 3ply is harder to warp in the long run.

as on the bridge being hotter, I did a measurement with multimeter and its identical to the maple versions, they also sound the same to my ear.

the RW plays way less stiffer though, i don't know how, but it does.

this is my number 1 strat :) everything is stock except for the volume pot. It failed on me the second years i played the strat so it got replaced

[​IMG]

14. dennyman

dennyman Member

I've found the RW necks to be thinner than the maple necks.

rwijaya likes this.
  15. rwijaya

it is, because it has 60's C profile, its a full C. The maple is a Soft V

16. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Wish that didn't have the binding. Would jump on one asap

17. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Funny, the binding is by far my fav part! Diff strokes I guess :)

Smashies, stephax and rwijaya like this.
  18. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

So what makes the RW fretboard EJ Strat play better/easier than the maple one? Is the radius the same? What is the difference in the shape of the back of the necks? Are they the about same thickness?

19. rwijaya

i don't know what makes them plays less stiffer. Some say its the lacquer finish on the maple board. some say its the quarter sawn etc, I personally think its the Binding. I jest about the binding part

on the neck, it still has 12 inch radius, thin headstock, staggered vintage style tuners etc those are the same, but the RW version has Full 60's C contour on the neck (pretty close to classic player 60's Strat neck, but bigger by a tad), while the maple version has Soft V. I personally feels the maple neck is Bigger.