1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Talk to me about the Mesa Studio Caliber

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by porsch8, Jan 16, 2008.

1. porsch8

porsch8 Member

Are these any good? Seem pretty versatile for a small tube amp..

2. Swain

Swain Member

The little 22 watter? It's a little MONSTER!

I've had one for years, and it still kicks posterior. It's forgiving, liquidy smooth, and has gain for days. Loud, too. Try plugging it into a 412 cab, and stand back.

Trying different speakers in it, will do a lot towards getting even better tones.

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

Has great sounds in both the clean and the reverb channel. Unfortunately, when you switch channels, you have to readjust everything because the jump between channels is too big. It's like going from 1st gear to 4th gear. There is a simple mod that fixes this though. The stock Eminence speaker is actually pretty good. It is a loud little monster and definitely has the Boogie, Mark series type of sound in the lead channel and if you set it correctly it can could amazingly like half of a black face Twin Reverb (I have owned 2, 65's) in the clean channel. I like that it is simpler than the rest of the Mark series, in that it is simpler and doesn't have any pull boost pots.

4. primerib

primerib Member

as bosstone hinted, there is not much seperation between channels so a great clean and high gain pair of channels is not achievable as you have to re-adjust a couple knobs. but for the money, they are great amps. I used a Studio Caliber 22+ in the studio for a nu-metal thing years ago and it kicked much arse. a great amp that is often overlooked

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

Boogie offers a mod for this problem. It is very simple and involves an extra pot on the rear. I have a hand drawn schematic of it from them if decide to get another one.

6. Alter

Alter Member

i ve had one for fifteen years, only changed the tubes and a couple of fuses during all that time. its the kind of amp everyone asks about after the gig... :AOK