talk to me about the new park amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by canadian tuxedo, Nov 29, 2015.

1. canadian tuxedo

canadian tuxedo Member

on the hunt for an amp to fill the marshall void in my arsenal and while i'm pretty set on the friedman dirty shirley, i'm also curious about the new park amps. i was bummed to learn they only did 20 of the 75's, but realistically i doubt i'd need more power than the 45 offers. how are these things?

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Well, Park is Mitch Colby, and I've heard the amp he built for Jim Weider and that amp sounded amazing.. I'd look into the new Parks. They are all handwired.

dsmc80 likes this.
  3. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

I've played the P45LTD, Dual Tone Booster and Mod Machine at the LA Amp show. I own two of Mitch's amps. Custom Fender and P50 with Merren iron/all NOS. All incredible sounding amps, top notch builds and Mitch really knows his stuff and a really outstanding guy.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    guitar29 likes this.
  4. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Gold Supporting Member

Get a Park if you can. I highly recommend them, am an owner myself.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I played a couple of them at summer NAMM and, since I've got an original Rock Head, that's the one I'd recommend. Great vintage Marshall sound with the addition of a switchable second channel and post-PI master. Just a great sounding amp!

6. canadian tuxedo

canadian tuxedo Member

anyone compared 'em to the offerings by friedman? specifically the dirty shirley.
    those are the two marshall style amps i'm currently looking at.
    was fairly certain 'bout the friedman, but then a youtube vidya was suggested to me and y'all know how that story goes...

7. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

totally different. Totally different. Dirty Shirley is great, but waaaay more modern sounding(and higher gain) than any of Mitch's Parks I've played.

8. canadian tuxedo

canadian tuxedo Member

yes, i realize they're completely different, but still both distinctly within the marshall tone camp. one more of a hotrod, the other a classic plexi; just up to me to decide which i need/want more at this stage.
    of course "both" is the ideal answer, but i ain't livin' in an ideal world just yet! on my way...

guessing the park will have the more open + raw sound?

9. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

yes...Much more raw.

10. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Park is dead nuts vintage. So a park45 is going to sound like a good jtm45.
    The dirty Shirley sounds like a modded jcm800 to me but more useable loose and modern feel.

Making a case for both is easy
    You want a 63 corvette or a new one?

DiPa and jdel77 like this.
  11. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Gold Supporting Member

I
    l'll take both vettes, :) seriously, the raw vintage tones are just heavenly with the Park , go Park and you won't look back.

12. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

I've played a real Park 75 and if these Colby Reissues sound anything like the originals they will sound like the best "Marshall" you've ever heard. The 75 with some attenuation is how I would roll.

13. guitar29

guitar29 Supporting Member

Killer amps to say the least. I also own one of Mitch Colby's Mod Machines and I can say with confidence that it is the best amp I have ever owned.

14. big mike

I've played all the Park's, and I've played all the Friedmans. All are awesome. It just depends if you want a more vintage or modern tone. you can nudge the DS "vintagy"...but it's got the modern gain and low end to it. The park's are dead nuts. The 45 and 50 are fabulous (the colby mod machine is freaking badass!) and thje Park 75 is just HUGE.

It's a matter of the right tool for the right job.

15. cal1024

cal1024 Supporting Member

The Friedman Smallbox is a pretty vintage sounding plexi on the first channel and then the great hot-rodded BE channel on the second. Both sound awesome. If you haven't tried that one yet, might be worth a look.

16. canadian tuxedo

canadian tuxedo Member

I tried the Smallbox and wasn't that blown away by it. Preferred the BE-100. But the DS is what I'm currently looking at from Friedman.

Just e-mailed Park asking about a P45 combo. Too bad they won't do 75's anymore.

17. big mike

What the 75 is basically...is a Bass spec 50 watt running KT88's. It's not rocket science there. Any plexi builder should be able to get you in the ballpark, including Park..if Mitch is up for it.
    the 45 is going to be more JTM 45. Loose, tweedy..won't have that JMP keraaang to it. little flubbier as they all are. DS will be tighter and MUCH gainier.

John 14:6 and Rod like this.
  18. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Have never tried the Park, but certainly like what I've heard of them. Very tasty. Nothing negative to say.

Just happen to own the Dirty Shirley, and love it.

IMHO the Dirty Shirley gets a great vintage sound through vintage greenie types of speakers (in my case a m55/m75 Scumback greenie combo, but I imagine alnicos would be nice too for a change). But you have the option of getting up to ZZ Top levels of gain (with a humbucker in that case) without a pedal. So for covering the entire range of classic rock and all those textures and tones, down to truly beautiful, almost acoustic guitar like cleans (I'm not sure a Blackface could sound much more like an acoustic steel string, and I've played a bit more acoustic than electric), in one channel, I love my DS.

To get a great jtm clean, you just have to dime the master, scoop the mids, reduce presence, and crank the bass/treble, playing through a good strat. Beautiful. Adjust to taste. Then you can set it clean for a lower setting on the guitar, and roll up the volume to scream, for some epic dynamics. You can also get huge, aggressive cleans. That's why you need the full 40 watts, to get that bigness with cleans, and slightly broken up tones.

It's tube rectified, so to my ears you never get a "modernistic" tone, if I understand that term. I think the difference in tone from a jtm has to do with a slight EQ nudge toward gain-friendliness (e.g., slighly less bass) but that the cleaner vintage tones can be dialed back in with that starting difference in mind.

Through my 212 cab it gets a plenty huge bass, which never crosses over into flubbiness or loses its musicality, even when its overdone on purpose. It sounds too chewy and organic, for lack of a better word, to cross over into gainy modernity. You have that sense of kicking your amp's ass, and it howling back at you like a mad rhinocerous, not a neat and tidy lecture on Satan worship. I hope that's clear, lol. I'd envision the amp as doing everything Page might think of wanting to do (including his softer, old school sides).

To me the DS is tight enough to be able to play with medium gain without muddiness or flubbiness, but is still plenty loose, chewy, and springy, yet with fast attack. Obviously tube rectified. To get convincing heavy metal you need a pedal of some kind.

I'd be happy to try to answer any questions on the Friedman DS, for what its worth. Honestly, Dave himself would be happy to answer any questions, or address concerns. Not sure your specific goals (OP).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  19. HazelGoatee

HazelGoatee Member

Own Park 75 Ltd and Park 45 top mount.
    I m very happy with them now!

20. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

The gut shot ive seen looked like all phier resistors and chicklet caps on paxoline board.