Talk to me about Tyler...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by White Buffalo, Jan 14, 2018.

1. journo

journo Member

When I visited with James and Sarah a few years ago and discussed my build they said no sparkles due to both the the above and also the sparkle flakes seem to have a tendency to staying in the air and "contaminate" other guitars coming into the booth.

Metallic/candy finishes are OK.

Cheers,

Mats N

edgie and trap like this.
  2. guitargeek94

guitargeek94 the ORIGINAL guitar geek Silver Supporting Member

Try the shmear finishes, some of them are drop dead gorgeous.

I had one in a gloss candy cherry red shmear, and it was insanely beautiful in person.

I have friends in Singapore that used to be one of the biggest Tyler dealers in SEA (Guitar East) but have since closed down, so I had the opportunity to play many Tylers, and find what I like the most bout them (I've played over 30-40, owned about 10+ or so)

The classic is a great model, but I've never played a Tyler classic that I felt super comfortable with. I like the contours and the vibe of the SE. Also, the slanted pickups are very cool, and I always like the tone balance slightly more. The best Tyler classic I had was a fantastic instrument that had a flatsawn (not quartersawn) neck, and is different from the usual Tyler neck. It's amazing, and besides the slightly more modern Suhr V60LP pickups, it was one insane guitar.

Some personal insight

1) Get the Studio Elite model, it's a Tyler flagship. If you want a traditional strat, Tyler is not really what you're looking for. If not classic, should be okay, but make sure you plan it out well.
    2) I dislike the midboost in general, on almost all Tylers. If you live with it, play with it, and gig with it long enough, you'll hear it, I would order mine without one, but maybe with the battery compartment included in case i ever change my mind (unlikely)
    3) the 9.5-12 radius is nice, the Big 59' carve is super nice, I prefer this. the standard 59' is nice, and I'll never complain. I love their V shape neck too, not that hard of a vee but very comfortable
    4) the Hot laura's are pretty nice pickups, the 5500's too. If you want a humbucker in the bridge, the hot retro, or any low/medium output bridge humbucker will do. the secret and shark are nice but i feel the secret looses a fair bit of definition sometimes and sounds slightly too compressed, depending on the wood combination.
    5) there are many wood combos. I love my mahongny/madagascar SE, one of my best Tylers so far. Others I like (Alder/Maple), (Ash/Maple). I'm not a fan of Mamywo (malaysian mystery wood/jelutong, it's local to me) because of the sponginess on the attack, it has a slightly dampened or sponginess to it, mamywo is a hit or miss wood, as I've had some Tylers with it that i really dislike, and some that I REALLY like.
    6) The Dan huff stacks are nice but the buttons are really dependent on whether you actually need them or not.
    7) I love my Tylers with the vintage 6 screw bridge, and vintage kluson style tuners. they were on an old Shoreline gold Tyler I had which i consider to be the best sounding Tyler I've ever owned. Surprisingly nice guitar, one that actually worked great with a midboost (Alder/maple)

Gene46, trap and ChicagoFraize like this.
  3. trap

trap Supporting Member

Any experience with the 2500 pickups vs the 5500?
    I have the 2500’s, but I’m curious what the 5500’s sound like.

4. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I have 5500's, and I enjoy them - thoroughly. REALLY full bodied, not at all round on the top - especially in the neck. I have the 2500's in my Classic, and they are good for just about everything. I feel like the 5500's are the 2500's, just pushed.

trap likes this.
  5. trap

trap Supporting Member

Cool. I like the way the 2500’s sound. Was wondering if it was worth the switch.maybe if I find a used pair it would be worth it.

6. guitargeek94

I love both. The best sounding Tyler i had used 2500’s, more on the mellow, classic side. The 5500 is beefed up and has a fuller sound somewhat, but I find that it doesn’t do the vintage chimes/quack quite as well as the 2500

trap likes this.
  7. trap

trap Supporting Member

Thanks! I do get pretty authentic quack in #2 position using the split Super in the bridge. And that is my favorite sound. So I think I’ll keep them in.
    And I do love the way Tyler uses the coil closest to the bridge (screw coil), when split. Sounds better than the slug coil to me.

8. guitargeek94

Yeah no need to change anything, unless you really feel there's something you need.

I've had so many Tylers over the years, but I never get tired of the vibe they bring!

lifeson1 and trap like this.
  9. edgie

edgie Member

You may have already ordered by the time you read this but just some input based on my experience in owning a SE BW.

Based on your description of your tone requirements, I’d say go for the 5500’s. I had 2500’s in mine and while they’re really nice pickups, I can’t help but notice the truncated treble in the long run. Never tried the 5500’s but I think you can sweeten them by rolling off the tone knob and they’ll be more versatile.

The best selling point of owning a Tyler is the famous ‘59 Standard neck that most owners appreciate a lot. If you consider resale value, first-time Tyler buyers will look for it most of the time.

For the midboost, I’d say go for it to complete the Tyler experience but for me I don’t really consider it as a boost but more of a “character change” feature. It’s like bringing 2 guitars to the jam/gig and when it’s on that I can somehow fake a dirty Les Paul tone with it at max.

RickC and trap like this.
  10. journo

journo Member

Try it with the neck pickup for some semi faux 335.

Cheers,

Mats N

edgie and trap like this.
  11. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

+1 to all of this. The 5500s have ample treble on tap and I generally do sweeten them with a little tone knob, which works out perfectly, but having that extra bit of slice in reserve is nice too.

/rick

edgie and lifeson1 like this.
  12. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

It's my understanding that sparkle finishes destroy paint booths....really tough to clean up.

13. AD

AD Gold Supporting Member

jcj, trap, pattste and 1 other person like this.
  14. hitchcaster

hitchcaster Supporting Member

what 6 screw bridge do you like? doesn't he have a newish one with raw vintage saddles?