1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Talk to Me About Volume Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ausguitarman, Jul 8, 2006.

1. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

I've never used one before and I'm looking to add one to my rig.

I was hoping that these act like rolling off the guitar volume.

I've never been good at rolling the volume off mid song but can work a pedal just fine.

Maybe a dumb question but I've never had the need before so I've never really looked into it.

Any thoughts would e appreciated.:AOK

2. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I've been using an Ernie Ball Jr. for about 6 months, it's been working out well. It's built like a tank, very solid, and the "tuner out" is handy. If you run it at the front of your chain, it will work much like your guitar volume (not exactly, but close). I run mine second to last, just before my delay; it seems to have less effect on my od/dist there, and just boosts or cuts my "overall" sound.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I use a full-size Ernie Ball a lot, with my '53 175. I love it. It does exactly what you want it to.

That said, mine just crapped-out, and I have to replace the pot. I bought mine used, and I'm not sure what the life expectancy is on these puppies.

I'm also thinking about getting a Goodrich volume pedal. A lot of folks on the board rave about them.

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I notice you have a few amps, there. If you're running anything in stereo, you might want to check out the Gig-FX Mega Wah that I'm interested in.

http://www.gig-fx.com

It functions as a wah, volume and envelope filter and runs in stereo, nifty on many fronts.

5. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

In the past I've had Ernie Balls but this time around I was looking at an L120 Goodrich.

I'd be interested in the opinion of anyone who's tried both.

I use my guitar volume for backing off volume and the governing how hard I hit the inputs of my pedals and amp. I primarily want the volume pedal for faux-steel licks.

6. JBarlow

JBarlow Member

I've have used both the Ernie Ball and Goodrich L120, and I currently have a Goodrich LDR 2. The Goodrich stuff is expensive, but SO much more transparent than the Ernie Ball stuff. I used the Ernie Ball for years, tried a steel player's LDR 2, and ordered one the next day. They're truly amazing.

7. Keld

Keld Member

I use an old optical morley volume/wah and it's been great. I too have never been good at the guitar volume roll off thing and the footpedal works like a charm. Another plus on the pedal is that I don't seem to lose the high end that happens when rolling off the guitar volume.

8. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

Thanks guys.

Some run these pre and some post effects.

Whats effect does this have in the different positions

9. Medication

Medication Member

If you run pre-distortion/fuzz/od, it'll clean them up. If you run it post effects, you can have a pedal "master volume." I prefer pre because I can roll off the fuzz as well as create volume swells with delay.

10. enickma

enickma Member

+1. That's exactly where/how I use my EB Jr. Having it before the delay gives you the ability to do killer swell repeats

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Run your high Z vol. before buffered effects, low Z after buffers, at least that is how it sounds best in my pedalboard, that way fuzzes don't crap out. I hate the sound of a fuzz after a lo-z volume pedal.

12. svanangen

svanangen Member

I own both an EB (fullsize) and a Goodrich L120. I bought the Goodrich mainly to use it with my pedalsteelguitar but I have used it quite a bit on guitar as well and I like it A LOT better than the EB. The sweep is much more even so it's a lot easier to have full control. Go Goodrich (or possibly try a Hilton)!

13. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Does goodrich has a site? and what are the common problems with the EB, its it that it sounds dull when rolled off? or what else?

thanks

Aj

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like a an L120 for me then.

If I run it after my Klon buffer and pre-delay it should be pretty cool.

15. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

16. drolling

drolling Member

For many years I had a BOSS FV-50H in front of a string of cheezy effects, and an ancient Ernie Ball at the other end of the signal chain, but as I slowly cut back on the gizmos, replacing them w/a few true-bypassed effects and a buffered equalizer - I was shocked to discover that both pedals were TONE-SUCKERS FROM HELL.

I only use them w/a couple of lo-fi sampler/loopers now, where they can't do any more damage.

And I'm managing the tele quite well since I flipped over the control plate, but I can't handle the stretch on the Gretsch, so I'm saving up for a Goodrich - they ain't exactly cheap..

17. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Does the Goodrich LDR 2 have a tuner out?
    thx
    lou