Talk to me about Vox AC30s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by burner, Mar 15, 2008.

1. burner

burner Member

I'm not too educated on the differences between the AC30 models.
    I guess there is an AC30 and an AC30cc?
    I'm assuming the "CC" has more options than the standard aC30, liek the channel jumpering/biasing, etc...

Anyway,I played the AC30cc today at GC and I thought it sounded fantastic!
    Really good chimey clean with excellent breakup capability.The breakup at full tilt didn't sound harsh to me at all but very musical and pleasing.
    I didn't get a chance to play with the biasing switch and I didn't poke around to check out the speakers.
    The Tremolo was good but sounded a little 'soft' for lack of a better term when compared to my 65Twin.Not the mix level but the actual sound...not as much of a hard chop.
    Additionally the reverb for all it's control options did not out-class the Twin.

Very dynamic sounding/responding amp.
    It seems like pretty much a one trick pony but what a trick!

Anyone?

*On another note.....
    I demoed the Marshall "Vintage/Modern" again and reaffirmed the fact that I don't like it. :(

2. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    The CC's are killer. I own 2. One with the Wharfdales and one with Blues. I have made some clips of both and when I can figure out how to get them up I'll post them. Just got me a new digital recorder and can't wait to get some clips going.

Chuck

3. burner

burner Member

Cool.
    Yep they do sound great.
    How well does the bias switch respond?
    Any other little tone tricks with them?
    I really didn't get to spen too much time on the Vox because I had other stuff to check out as well.

I've got a brand new '65 Twin on the way, straight from Fender and I'm considering trading it for an AC30 when it arrives.
    Now I wish I had bought it at CG so I could return it for the Vox.:eek:

*I had purchased it as a mate to my other '65 Twin because it seemed like a good thing to spend my tax refun on but now I want something else to compliment it and i'm pretty much stuck with the new Twin (that I haven't even taken delivery of yet)*

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I have a CC and love it. Tons of different features (and i use almost all of them!).

Its cool to have things like the bias feature, but it doesn't make a huge difference overall i think. I like the cut feature.

Took me a long time to dial in the sounds i like (i use it as a two channel amp), but now i try to set it and forget it... though i tend to sneak over and mess with it during gigs.

I only have 2 real gripes with it:

lack of multiple master volumes - this may be a bit choosy, but having 2 master volume circuits on a two-channel amp seems like a no-brainer to me. Adds tons of versatility.

crappy reverb. It is uncommonly bad reverb methinks. Its not like i can't use a pedal.... but c'mon!

other than that i think it holds its own as a vintage style amp (often times I just plug straight into the normal channel without any EQ or anything and let her rip!!), but with a lot of the best modern features. Very good master volume, extremely quiet and versatile effects loop, and creative EQ controls and settings.

also its got what AC30s are famous for --- for some reason it sounds fantastic with pretty much any guitar.

5. burner

burner Member

Yeah, I wasn't that impressed with the reverb and for my money they could have just left it out.
    This amp looks like a perfect candidate for some slapback analog goodness.
    Obviously I didn't get to run it through all it's paces yet but like you said, I'm more of a set it and forget it type player.
    Crank it up and work the guitar's volume is how I always play.
    I thought they didn't even have a master volume at all but I guess that is something specific to the "CC" version.When I tried it out, I just cranked the MV all the way up.
    It didn't occur to me that two MVs might be useful as well....

6. procos

procos Supporting Member

Not really sure I'd call the Vox CC a 2 Channel amp.

7. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

2 indy channels, not switchable (a la early marshall, fender).

I use an a/b switch when i play out. I keep the top boost channel for chimey cleans, and the normal channel for the roar and sing, with the aid of pedals occasionally.

8. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I owned a Vox AC30CC2X and currently have a AC30H2. Theyre awesome amps, really creamy and chimey. I would definatley reccomend one, but my only tip is, GET BLUES!

[​IMG]

9. procos

procos Supporting Member

I can't complete agree with this statement. I own 2 CC's one with blues and one with wharfdales and I really don't hear that much of a difference. Yes the one with blues sounds a tad better but if someone is on a budget I wouldn't feel like you are slighted with the wharfdales. I'll post the clips and let your ears decide.

10. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

I picked up an AC30H2 a couple of months ago and I couldn't be happier with it. Extremely warm, awesome harmonics...it was a nice break from the shimmery cleans of my '65 Twin RI. I noticed that you own a Twin as well...excellent combo! I have to admit that for the first month or so after buying the AC30, I didn't plug into the Twin AT ALL. As of now, however, the honeymoon has ended and I'd say I use both equally. The Twin takes to pedals a bit better and has better bass response, but the AC30 sounds much more unique and breaks up more nicely (and at lower volumes than the Twin, amen!).

All in all, a Twin+AC30 allows you to cover a lot of ground, and have a blast doing it. Each has its nuances that I've come to love. They're both keepers for sure!

11. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

AC30's are the definitive Brit Pop / Shoegazer amp. Love 'em. I have a AC30cc head and I'm very happy with it. Also I agree with Proco's comment regarding speakers, while the Blues are probably the most optimal speakers I've been really surprised at how good the stock Wharfdales are. These are incredible amps for the money.

12. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)

if you can afford to get the blues, I'd recommend them. to my ears, the difference between the wharfedales and the blues is quite discernible but i'm incredibly picky about my tone. i love my UK-made AC30, but i was very impressed with the new Classic Custom series and its features but the wharfedales just didn't cut it for me. i'm considering buying one for the hell of it as they're very reasonable when you find them used.

13. dave s

dave s Member

A couple of things Burner: 1) The AC30s are NOT bedroom amps. Capable of bonecrushing loud! So loud that my CC2x (with Blues) was too much horsepower even at outdoor gigs to get the amp 'cooking' and into the really nice tones. 2) Count me in the camp that says the Celestion Blue 15w as a real difference maker in the CC series amps.

Great tone!

dave

14. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I had an AC30CC with blues and it is one of the very best amps I ever owned. A Tele into a Klon into that AC30 was pure magic. I wish I had that specific combo back.... maybe someday

15. burner

burner Member

Good deal, I hate bedroom amps.
    I play loud!!!!

Yup, I'd actually like to run it in stereo with my Twin.
    If I can get my new Twin sold I'm going to look into the Vox. unless I can trade it for something else.
    At this point I really don't care, i'm just looking for something other than two Twins. ;)

16. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Just returned from a loud rehearsal with my AC30BM. Of the Voxes that I have owned and used, this is my absolute favorite. I am using a BB and a Squareface for different lead tones. The chimey grind is so thick and sublime! The BM has Blues as well. They have always sounded bigger and better in tone and feel to me.

17. Sol

Sol Member

Ive been playing a '66 AC30 Top Boost for years now and its the best amp Ive ever had.
    What I want to do is get either a AC30 CC or the new AC30H2, or perhaps the head version if thats available yet.
    So, has anyone got the chance to try both the CC and H2 AC30 amps , side by side for comparison?

The Custom Classic certainly has the features that Ive never had with the vintage one Ive got now, master volume and effects loop would be really handy.
    But then theres the H2 with the EF86 front end and the hand wireing work.

They both look like fantastic amps and I'd probably be more than happy with either, so if you guys have experience with both chime in and educate us

18. hamfist

hamfist Member

The Heritage AC30 head has been available at http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Vox-AC30HH--Heritage~ID~7766.asp for a few months. I love mine. Much more inspiring than the CC IMO. The EF86 channel is well worth it, and is absolutely magic. You will need a Hotplate if you want any break up from the amp, unless you play at loud band volumes all the time. Thankfully the Hotplate works a treat with it.

19. Sol

Sol Member

Thanks for the info hamfist,I wasnt sure they were out here yet.

More inspiring you say, did you have a CC before you got the Heritage?

I get the impression they're more basic with the features,(Than the CC) do they have the vibrato like the old ones did?

So, are we talking night and day better/different than CC?

Sorry for putting you up against the wall with the Q's !

20. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

I have the Ac30cc head with matching 2-12 cab. Weber silver and blue combo. Great amp for sure, lots of volume and I boost the front end up with a mxr micro amp. This is a great combo IMO, the mxr has a slight high/prescence boost when being used, I like it without the all out brightness of a dedicated treble booster.

I personally feel that this amp at this price point is the current "deal of the century" no doubt

Boutique amp tones on a beer budget!!!!!!!!

plexi