Talk to me about your two amp rigs and aby boxes

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
I have two independent rigs right now, a Supro 1624 and a Suhr Badger, with their own dedicated pedalboards. I do a lot of loop playing, and the other night I started a loop on one rig, switched out cables and started layering through the other amp, and it blended together quite nicely, which made me think that more is more. I also thought that it might be inspiring if I fed time based effects through one rig with the other amp having some grit, to create that really full wet/dry type of setup. The plan is to get a nice AB/Y box, go straight from guitar to that box, then split the signals into the two separate rigs. I was looking at the Radial Twin Cities, and I was kind of disappointed that the GigRig ABBaby isn't available anywhere (did they discontinue it?).

Thoughts on my plans? Your aby box of choice? Feel free to share your w/d, w/d/w, and stereo rigs as well as what you do with them.

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
Here's most of it.
IMG_20211220_190630_902.jpg

msquared

Platinum Supporting Member
I sometimes run two amps as W/W and my splitter is any of the pedals I have which have stereo output. Usually this is either a Strymon Deco or an Empress Echosystem, I prefer the Echosystem for this because it's got a looper built in and it's got a transformer on the right side output to electrically separate the two signals and prevent noise issues.

Silent Sound

My ABY of choice is a just a passive switching box. I made my own. It's literally the easiest and cheapest pedal you can make. If you can't solder, I'd suggest finding someone who can. It's just two switches and three jacks in a box. If you want to get fancy, add a few LED's and a way to power them. Run a tuner pedal in front of it, or something like that, for the active boost circuitry. That cuts down on the amount of circuitry in your system that can suck tone.

I prefer to play in stereo, however. To me, that's a better use of two amps. And of course, with stereo effects they do the splitting for you.

sleewell2

i was briefly using an aby and enjoyed it but realized i didn't need all that gear.

i was going A side into helix into a power amp into a cab and then the B side was straight into an amp into a cab. this way you got the straight into the front of amp perfect dirt tone and then had the other side for all the effects. they actually sounded great on the Y setting together too. it was a lot of options and was fun but grossly unnecessary.

De Batz

My experience is that passive ABY boxes are hit-and-miss, and that it might depend on things like the location rather than just the kit.

I had a Radial BigShot that worked great in any situation as long as it had a buffer in front of it, but it robbed a lot of high end into some two-amp setups. The isolated out was worse for that. I also had a GigRig Humdinger, and that was great as a straight-up splitter but isn't switchable; it also adds something (or fails to take it away) to the highs with some gear.

Now I'm on a FullTone True Path ABY, which again is great in many applications but the buffer can play havoc with a fuzz. Fortunately it's switchable on the pedal, so I can get round that. The Twin City is close enough to the True Path that I don't think you'd notice much difference...

assquatch20

I do it without a dedicated splitter live sometimes for wet/dry. Doesn't work exactly the same for every amp but I'm just slaving the wet amp via each amp's FX loop, from the dry amp's send, thru the modulation and time based stuff, into the return of the wet amp. I've been mostly lucky with phase issues, except for with a certain stereo tremolo in w/d.

At home or recording certain things I will do w/d/w using the same method but with stereo FX and a stereo power amp of some sort.

The way I do it may be boring compared to going in the front of two different amps, but it's horses for courses I reckon. The way the OP is doing it can yield some great new tones.

I should note that I don't run either side exclusively wet or dry all the time. Often it's damp/moist or some variation thereof, or even stereo.

Ultra GP

Gold Supporting Member
I'm using one of these. I think it's from the 80s?

IMG_5734.jpg

I have this going to a DSL 50 (about to replace this with a Gower JVM) and Fender Hot Rod. I like this one since it simply gives the option to switch between one or both amps, but it does give the A/B option as well. I'd probably use the Boss LS-2 otherwise

cstmrts

My ABY is the HX Stomp.
I have a Palmer LI 01 taking care of the ground loops connected to the input of one of the amps and i made sure both speakers are in phase.
Currently I use a '64 Epiphone EA-28RVT and a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe clone.

Timbre Wolf

>thermionic<
Platinum Supporting Member
Your aby box of choice?

I've been very happily using a Lehle Little Dual for the past decade, at least. Before that I had a Radial Bigshot, which was good, but which added some noise and altered the signal too much. The Lehle is extremely quiet, durable, and works perfectly for my stereo rig. I can easily manage grounding and phase concerns with it. The current version is the Little Dual II.

Ejay

Whenever I can I play stereo. Into returns of combos (a 15w or/and a 25w), or a Mesa 20/20…or an Engl 50/50.
I fully rely on floorpreamps together with a boss GT I use for efx and IR. (So modeling is off) I simply tap from the stereo output of the GT.

My smallest board: (full modeling , battery powered)
D0A3A357-6DE7-41A6-B5CC-1D56E3183E49.jpeg

That smallboard fits on my “bigger board”, Ethos doing “preamp”.
BC0111E7-53E3-4E6D-A3A2-E007F0084B08.jpeg

And if I need “nuclear” the GT goes on a drawer in a rack, revival drive and blackbird (not in pic) as preamps.
75D2388B-EC91-4485-9B52-61131F92119A.jpeg
BB60612B-66DE-4B85-981B-955164D9B04C.jpeg

kakev

I've been using 2 amps for some years now. A or B-setup is waste of tubes and electricity. That's why i run signal to amps simultaneously. Signal gets split into 2 with old boss ch-1. From boss to timeline, after that comes amps. Phase is corrected with Lehle P-Split which also isolates the ground. That's it, simple. Gives choise of running wet signal from chorus to one amp, while other sees dry-signal. With timeline options are plenty, different delay patters for each amp, or delay only to one amp, repeats to one amp, same delay for both amps etc.

It's awesome to have the options with timeline since both amps are quite heavily distorted, usually dual recto and diezel vh2. I do that sometimes even at home, for that i have 2 old boogie combos that blend really well.

Alabamarama

I use a Radial Twin City stashed under my board. I like being able to eliminate noise and phasing issues. Was more of an issue when I was running a Fender with one of these Voxes. Now it's more of just having the option to switch an amp off relatively quickly if an amp decides to misbehave.

Used to run Wet/Dry, but it was too much of a hassle for minimal upside.

I use a Radial Twin City stashed under my board. I like being able to eliminate noise and phasing issues. Was more of an issue when I was running a Fender with one of these Voxes. Now it's more of just having the option to switch an amp off relatively quickly if an amp decides to misbehave.ef

Used to run Wet/Dry, but it was too much of a hassle for minimal upside.

....being able to eliminate noise and phasing issues, is a HUGE bonus good AB boxes provide!

scotty31

I run a few

Main one is SLO100 and mark 3 red stripe. They each go into an ev12/alnico cream 212 mix
Alt. to the mark is a mesa tremoverb via 412 v30s.

Next is park p45/achillies ac30 tb6. Various speakers (creams, blues, ruby/gold mix, g12h55s). Each goes via loadbox.
Korg sdd3000 split to loadbox loops.
Do similar with the ac30 and a tweed twin lp but change sdd3000 out for a skreddy echo into the ac30 (tweed stays dry)

A/B is a tc scf stereo split to foa of each amp.

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
I bought a Twin City off of the verb this afternoon, so I should have impressions in the near future. Some really inspiring two amp rigs in this thread, looking forward to dipping my toe in the water.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom