Talkbass: anyone else having problems?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Guy from Idaho, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

The site consistently freezes up and/or crashes my browser (IE), anybody else having that problem?

I'm bummed, it's my other favorite site :eek:

www.talkbass.com

-GFI

2. juh_sepp

juh_sepp Member

no problems on my browser. Using IE6 at work and Firefox at home.

3. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

I had Safari quit on me twice today, and I did have Talkbass tabbed (as well as several other sites).
    That would be a possible explanation.
    But the site also worked fine most of the day.

4. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

yea, I'm having all sorts of problems, the juvenality and sheer pissiness is pissing me off. I mean when someone asks a question like "I'm having trouble getting the price quote on my Fender Custom Shop order, any suggestions?"
    The answer are like "You're a fool, buy a warmoth neck, and....", or "Laklands are better, Fender's are crap".

That and all the clueless questions about TUNING..TUNING???!! :messedup

The anti-vintage bias, and the anger that those people have...

The db side is much better.

That and the fact that half the members there seem to P&W playing assault rifle toting rubes is upsetting...:Devil

But no problems connecting, no none at all...

;)

5. dougb415

dougb415 Member

No problems here....

6. 2 Loud 4 You

2 Loud 4 You Member

I've had no problems with logging in or posting.

7. krall

krall Supporting Member

I'm having the exact same problems...Been acting up the past week or so..

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I "like" TB. It's not the same as it was a few years ago- but no forum really is. It's always been "young."

What I don't like is the whole lack of self esteem that a lot of bass players seem to have and overcompensating the importance of the bass. Yes, it's important and a good bass player is hard to find, but there's no need to * out "guitar," or consider yourself on a different plane than any other musician.

There's a lot of "youth" and all the goofy things that go along with being a kid, as well as being a noob musician. There's also the exuberance and excitement
    that you see- and that's cool.

Besides that, it's interesting drawing comparisons to John Mayer and Pete Wentz.... :D

9. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Part of the problem with talkbass is its size, and the moderators.

For example, someone posted a question on how to take the Squier decal off their headstock, for they wanted to put a "Fender" one on it. Well, the fireworks started. I think this is wrong, and should not be discussed in a open forum. Well, many agreed, many disagreed.

Then someone posted a link to a site that sells bogus Fender decals. Some of the mods had no issues with this at all, the discussion of how to fake a Fender. When I sent an email to the admin, he freaked, he had to talk to all of the mods in the different forums, get common treatment, and then he deleted all the threads. Wise man.

I was attacked in pm's to a large degree, mostly by kids wanting to Fender up their Squiers.

One post was classic "I will do whatever the F--- I want to do it's my bass, I'll put a Fender decal on it if I want to, f-- you and your Fender BS, you prick"

it was signed, bass player in the Something Something Church P&W band.....:Devil

10. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I remember those threads. I think I stayed out of it.

I've greatly enjoyed TB, I took a self imposed year off after an altercation there- and since I started posting there again, it's different.

11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Member

never have had a problem.

12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I agree. I don't particularly like all the "guitard" references. You don't have to be a basshole to try to make yourself feel important on an instrument.

Part of the problem is that bassists are often seen as "failed" guitarists. I enjoy playing both.

13. Thor

Thor Member

I spend WAY more time here on TGP, but I have never had a problem over there. I like that it is a change of pace. All boards have their little sniggles and quirks. Ain't no thing.

14. Sir M

Sir M Member

sounds to me like it isn't any of your business, trying to be self righteous. if you check the serial #, it will tell you everything you need to verify the authenticity of a Fender instrument.

if you don't approve, post your "opinion" and that is all. if you do approve, post your "opinion" and that is all. it's not in your place to try and "right" the world of ideas YOU don't agree with.

if I was slightly interested in the thread, i'd have said the same thing to you. if this were in real life, I'd say the same thing to you, probably more harsh though.

15. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I'm a TB member, and have had no problems.

Of course, I am a failed guitarist, so I feel a bit more comfortable there hangin' with my fellow "little low peeps".
    I guess I've always had a bit of bottom feeder in me.

:)

S.
    j

16. thesteve

thesteve Member

I haven't had any issues with TB recently. I've always felt that for the most part TB was more accessible to the common player than TGP, but maybe that also leads to other issues.

17. mainsale

mainsale Member

18. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass Member

I've had less of a problem there than here - although the maturity level here is MUCH higher. The big problem with TGP is no one really posts on the bass pages. Just looking at the first page, the thread on the bottom was last replied to on 5/15...on TB, most likely it's within an hour, maybe two. Also, when I asked a question regarding a luthier's turnaround time and other customer service question, it got bumped to the bass section. Maybe they felt that because even though it's a brand that gets rave reviews on this site (Suhr), because I mentioned bass, it was filtered automatically to this page. Who knows really...