• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

...talking Jeff Beck, what happened to his 'new technique??'

Cal Webway

In an interview a little less than a yr ago JB talked about some new technique he would later reveal.

Anyone remember this, AND may know what this was??

tanx!

straycat113

I don't recall that statement but what can't Beck do on a guitar? As modest as he is I love how he never pulls any punches lol. When Beck and Clapton did their RollingStone interview they asked Clapton if there was anything Beck did on guitar that he couldn't do and he listed about 3 or 4 things and then they asked Beck the same question about Clapton and he just stated "no" lol. Also I had a bootleg of Beck coming out to play a few songs with BB King and he totally cut loose and did not hold back a thing like most players due with BB. That wound up in a guitar magazine article with the interviewer asking him why he didn't hold back and he gave a great answer which went something toward the line of- BB is great and does his thing, but would it be fair to my fans in the audience if I didn't give it my all. Well if someone does have a new technique Beck would be my obvious choice to have it.

tapeup

Butterscotch Supt. Member
I don't recall that statement but what can't Beck do on a guitar? As modest as he is I love how he never pulls any punches lol. When Beck and Clapton did their RollingStone interview they asked Clapton if there was anything Beck did on guitar that he couldn't do and he listed about 3 or 4 things and then they asked Beck the same question about Clapton and he just stated "no" lol. Also I had a bootleg of Beck coming out to play a few songs with BB King and he totally cut loose and did not hold back a thing like most players due with BB. That wound up in a guitar magazine article with the interviewer asking him why he didn't hold back and he gave a great answer which went something toward the line of- BB is great and does his thing, but would it be fair to my fans in the audience if I didn't give it my all. Well if someone does have a new technique Beck would be my obvious choice to have it.

Haha that's a pretty cool and valid perspective on Jeff's part, I've never really thought about it like that (not that I'm good enough to hold back or not do so, so the thought hasn't crossed my mind too much). However, this story reminds me of the live performance of BB King and Jimi Hendrix playing together. Jimi doesn't hold back and by the end of it, it sounds like BB is getting kind of pissed that Jimi is letting loose so much and kind of stealing the spotlight.

sixty2strat

Haha that's a pretty cool and valid perspective on Jeff's part, I've never really thought about it like that (not that I'm good enough to hold back or not do so, so the thought hasn't crossed my mind too much). However, this story reminds me of the live performance of BB King and Jimi Hendrix playing together. Jimi doesn't hold back and by the end of it, it sounds like BB is getting kind of pissed that Jimi is letting loose so much and kind of stealing the spotlight.
i'd guess he grew more confident. 45 years ago he was unknown chitlin circuit performer on the verge of break through hit. Now he is an American treasure known by president n potentates and wealthy beyond his dreams and free at last. Makes it easier to share the spot

pete kanaras

as a lifelong fan of the man i thought i'd never say this, but these days i much prefer hearing Beck without a Strat. it's as if that damn whammy bar is stitched to his hand.

bluesjunior

I love both Clapton and Beck, bought all the records and have seen both live many times. Clapton 15 times and Beck 10 times through all guises and variations since the 60's and I will say this, Jeff has never taken me out of my skin the way Clapton does when he is on.

greyhound

Silver Supporting Member
If you see something that looks like a star
And it's shooting up out of the ground
And your head is spinning from a loud guitar
And you just can't escape from the sound
Don't worry too much, it'll happen to you
We were children once, playing with toys
And the thing that you're hearing is only the sound of
The low spark of high-heeled boys

Cal Webway

ya know, I haven't got an answer-- but got some funny as heck responses!!

I love the rap/ talk box thing!
"She's a Woman" could be updated to "She's a Blank" (insert misogynist word)

/

Last edited:

MGT

i'd guess he grew more confident. 45 years ago he was unknown chitlin circuit performer on the verge of break through hit. Now he is an American treasure known by president n potentates and wealthy beyond his dreams and free at last. Makes it easier to share the spot
American treasure? Can you be one of those when you aren't American?!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom