Tame Impala - Currents

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Coldacre, May 7, 2015.

1. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

album is available for pre-order now.

they've put 4 songs out there already, big departure from the previous 2 albums. can't say I've liked why I've heard. but I'm hopeful Kevin hasn't totally abandoned psych rock!

vinyl looks nice :)

2. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

3. Creighton

Creighton Member

The songs I've heard thus far sound like he co-wrote this album with Kylie Minogue or something. Far be it from me to judge this mans creativity but I really hope the album is stronger overall.

4. Coldacre

yeah he did the shiny pop thing on the "Led Zeppelin" b-side, wasn't expecting a whole album of it. really hope there's some riff driven stuff on the newey. he's so good at it!

5. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I'm a huge Tame Impala fan, and Kevin Parker is a huge influence on me artistically.. that being said, I'm not crazy about the 4 songs I've heard so far off the new album. Not that they aren't good songs, just not my thing. I like his more guitar driven stuff mixed with his pop sensibilities.. but he's definitely grown as an artist. Hopefully this is a phase and he gets back to the rock, but I'm not so sure. He's always mentioned how much he loves bubblegum pop and hinted at going in this direction.

6. TeeVee

TeeVee Member

Album has now dropped, what do people think so far?

I'm enjoying where Kevin is heading sonically.

7. soulohio

soulohio Member

8. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

I haven't heard the whole thing yet, but I personally like the songs I've heard and I also think the production losing some of the, for lack of a better term, "intentional lo-fi" elements is a good thing IMO.

9. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

I really like it. If you add the 3 songs he did with mark ronson it feels more well rounded overall. There are only so many great psych guitar riffs a guy can write, so not much guitar work on this one.

10. ThePeopleofColin

ThePeopleofColin Runs with Scissors

I'm really enjoying it.
    Interesting change in approach, from my perspective.

But he's pulling it off...

11. Ryan84

Ryan84 Member

Here are my thought's on all 3 of their albums so far

Innervisions: Loved it! Great guitarwork/vocals. 9 out of 10

Lonerism: It was OK. Not sure what to say in particular just not a ton of tracks I enjoyed. 7 out of 10

Currents: Really enjoyable. Great synth tracks, wish it had a little more guitar prominent. Very soothing album. It's one of these records where you let the synth wash all over you. Take you to a better place. 8 out of 10

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    TeeVee likes this.
  12. Coldacre

having my first listen now. I don't think Kevin is playing to his strengths by going synth. there are some good ideas but he falls short. there's a break down in "The moment" where it strips back and this punchy drum beat kicks in. what follows is pretty un-memorable. there's a gap for a really good hook, but it never comes.

I think he's making the music he likes listening to, not so much what he is good at playing. those high falsetto vocals in "Yes I'm Changing" are not good.

I'll give it a few more listens to reveal itself, but it's all a bit "coked out 80's blandness"..... nothing like the acid inspired 70's goodness of the previous 2 albums.

13. Coldacre

wow, pretty disappointing. found it tough to listen to all the way through . the songs all sound the same and they don't go anywhere.

man, Jay & Nick are making far better music these days. the GUM album "Delorean Highway" destroys "Currents"! its the album Kevin should have made...

14. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

Wow, need some better melodic evidence than that....

15. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I agree.. I personally think Nick Allbrook is the most talented of that whole Aussie crew.

Coldacre likes this.
  16. Heritage 80

Heritage 80 Member

Really a good band. A local FM radio jock said they remind him of a cross between Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath. To me it's more like a fusion of Lennon and Floyd. Cool stuff at any rate (love Elephant!).

17. Great Shot Pilot

Great Shot Pilot Supporting Member

Probably not going to be a popular record on a guitar-centric forum.

I think when it is good, it's amazing, like on Let it Happen and The Moment. There are a few misses scattered throughout, but it's a pretty great effort given that it's an almost complete reinvention of his sound.

Coldacre likes this.
  18. Coldacre

I'm not sure what you mean by 'melodic evidence', but the full album is here. I urge you to listen to it all in one sitting. its truly fantastic. there's great flow, plenty of variation and feel. would love to hear your evaluation of the entire album:

19. Coldacre

hang on.... whole "Perth" crew please :p there's more of us in Melbourne / Sydney that are unrelated to the whole Tame / Pond / Mink / GUM / Allbrook thing.

but yes, I agree.... Nick is the twisted genius in all of this. he's the main man in Pond, and for anyone who's dug deep.... we all know Pond is the better band.

neosoulchild likes this.
  20. Coldacre

for the Pond un-initiated.... check out the drummer for them in 2010: (and good old Jay on guitar!.... absolute supergroup)

jerrycampbell and neosoulchild like this.