Taming Feedback

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DirtLover, Feb 23, 2015.

1. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

Is there an effective way to tame feedback?
    Here's what I'm running:
    Fender Strat > Wah > TU-2 > FD-2 > RAT > '69 MkII > Scarab Dlx > DL-8 > SP-7 > Coolcat Trem > Super Sonic 22 clean side.

When I get the amp cranking much passed 3 or 4 on the clean/fat side (which is loud) feedback gets a little uncontrollable with OD/Fuzz. The DL8 delay also seems to goose things into uncontrolable feedback territory. The fuzzes do a bit better o ntheir own but the OD stacked puts things out of control. Is there something about digital effects not behaving well at gig volume? Would a noise gate of some kind help? Mayb there's something in my signal chain causing the issue?

I am not interested in eliminating feedback because it can be a beautiful thing but I'd like it to be a little less present. Any words of advice?

2. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Possibly could be the SS22. Mine had a feedback problem which was related to the reverb. Turn the reverb off and see if it persists. If it doesn't, it's a known fault of the SS22 and can be fixed by a Fender authorized repair tech. (under warranty if <5 yrs. old).

If it's not reverb related, could be room related, guitar related (semi or full hollow body), direction of speakers relative to the amp, or who knows what else.

Good luck!

3. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

Thanks for the reply. I did have the local Fender repair tech. go through the amp shortly after I acquired it, it was still under warranty. That cured the channel switching pop (mostly), tamed the hiss and adressed the feedback I'd get when the reverb was turned up passed 4 or so.
    I hadn't thought about the reverb since, I run it at about 2-3 all the time, but I will try it with no reverb. Maybe that's the issue? For the record it's not a huge issue I just need to be careful with my guitar volume knob and stacking OD and fuzz. But I really like stacking OD and fuzz!

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Test tubes for microphonics. Some cheaper cables can even be microphonic.

Adding delays is sending a mirror image of the sound at same time as dry, it's like hitting your amp with 1.5 guitars when you add up dry tone with wet tone.

Controlling natural feed back is about position.