Taming the Gold 10 spike???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bob Arbogast, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Supporting Member

I've had a pair of Celestion Alnico Gold 10s for a while now for my one and only amp, a BF Vibrolux Reverb clone. Great sounding speakers, except they have an upper midrange peak that hurts my ears. Is there any hope that over time that peak will even out?

I'm doubtful about that. Here's why. I borrowed a friend's pair of UK Vintage 10s that have lots and lots of hours on them -- years' worth of playing -- and they have the same painful upper midrange peak. If it hasn't gone away on those speakers, what hope is there of it going away on the Golds? (FYI, to my inexpert eye, the cone on the Vintage 10s looks much the same as the cone on the Gold 10s.)

Bob Arbogast

2. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Hey Bob, Bob here. I never experienced the Celstion Gold 10; but I have heard the Gold 12" and know (from discusssions here) that are ~similar. So, just based on that, I would try that Gold with SEVERAL different amps to make sure that it is the speaker and not your amp (or guitar?)
    Hope that helps; all I can offer).

3. murky69nz

murky69nz Member

I have a 12" gold that 100+ hours of gigging on it.

It still had that spike and a very "crisp" high end - amazing for clean tones. Amazing. But a little too crunchy for my liking with an overdriven JMJ30, or for higher gain tones.

I put it on a variac for another 100 or so hours, but the monkey is still there.

My conclusion is that it's just the way it's designed - great for clean or very dark amps, but didn't work with mine. The cone is a little different to the 53H1777 on the Blue.

4. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Ah - kind of explains why it works with my Bassman too - a little on the dark side of an amp.

5. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i play every week and loud, mic'd from an isolation room........... it took literally, just over a year for my Gold to break in, but it was noticeable. i thought it already had, but you def notice when it really does. much more softer, creamier and looses the harsh highs.

6. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

I had the same experience with new blues, golds, & silver's that were in my Marshall offset halfstack. But once they all hit that magic point oh the goods they give up.