Tap-A-Whirl Users, More Feedback needed.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cusack Effects, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

After talking to several customers, I have come up with some changes to the Tap-A-Whirl that I would like to implement. FYI, once I work out the details, I will be able to modify exsisting Tap-A-Whirls to add these changes (for a small fee). What I would like to do is describe what I am thinking, and get your feedback as to if it sounds good, or is too complicated. So, Here I go:

I would add the ability to set the Fade-in, Ramp Speed, AND Tap divide using the Option Knob. Along with that, you could program those three parameters for EACH waveform. In other words, Sine could have 2 second Fade-in, Slow Ramp Speed, and Divide by 1. Square Wave could have No Fade-In, Fast Ramp Speed, and divide by 2, Etc.

The way you would do this would be to open the pedal, instal a jumper in a certain position for each option. So when the jumper is in the Fade-In position, then adjusting the knob adjusts the Fade-In, just like it does now, the difference being that if you tap BOTH switches at the same time (or alternally, hold the Bypass switch for 1 second?), it would store that fade-in value to the current waveform. You would then go through all 8 waveforms, and program the Fade-In for each the same way. Then you would change the jumper setting to Ramp Speed, and then Tap Divide, and do the same thing.

The Tap Divide options I am thinking of would be .5, 1, 2, 3, 4. This would allow for slow speeds, and 3/4 timeing as well. Fade-in and Ramp Speed ranges would stay the same, unless I hear suggestions to change them.

THEN, I would have an optional external 3 position toggle switch that would take the place of the jumper, if you want to make changes often. This would mount on the back of the pedal, to the right of the INPUT jack.

I am trying to implement these changes ASAP, as I have a few orders going out this week, so your quick feedback would really help.

Thanks,

Jon Cusack

2. fatback

fatback Member

Wow, that sounds very cool. It'll make my favorite trem up a notch. Keep us updated on how this goes.

3. derek2615

derek2615 Member

Jon,

Sounds cool. The Tap Divide allows you to tap in the speed at quarter, eighth, sixteenth speed, right? If so, how would you use the variable knob to set fixed rates? Assuming Tap Divide does what I think...

Derek

4. derek2615

derek2615 Member

Jon,

For my own personal preference, and I know others use the TAW differently than me, but I'm happy with picking what the option knob does. The thing I wish mine had was a simple 3-way toggle that let you pick 1/2/4 tap speeds that worked across all wave forms. Granted, storing all those settings on a per wave basis is nice but being able to simply look at the toggle and know the setting would work better than "trial" tapping to remember how you set it up last.

For me personally, simple works better. You have a pretty user friendly pedal now and I love the Tap-tempo. Thanks for a great pedal. It really is one of the most transparent trems I have ever heard.

Derek

5. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Those updates sound useful. For my own tastes however, simple is better. I used to have a full midi setup with two or three patches for each song. It was easy to reproduce what was on our CDs but the complexity drove me nuts. In the end I scrapped the whole thing in favor of a pedalboard where everything was there in front of me. Because of this, I would prefer some direct controls rather than a set jumper/program waveform approach.

I really like the tap-a-whirl. The only thing that could make it better for me is a tap divide setting.

Tap divide - I rarely use slow tremolo so if 2, 3, and 4 are longer than a quarter note, they would be pointless for me. If they mean that quarter note taps set the rate to eighth, dotted eighth, or sixteenth notes then it would be perfect. Sign me up for that mod.

John

6. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

The .5, 1, 2, 3, and 4 would be what the tap was divided by, so at 1, the tap is exact, 2 would be tiwce as fast, 4 would be 4 times as fast, and .5 would be twice as slow as you tap. Those in favor of a simple Tap Divide Switch, would the other functionality work for you? In other words, you could not have the external switch, and jumper the Option Knob to control Tap Divide, then you would not have Fade-In, and your Ramp Speed would be fixed.

The issue I always run into is exactly what I am hearing here, most guys want simple, a few want it tweakable. It's hard to find a middle ground, but with the help of more comments, maybe we can find a way that everybody would like? I could do a billion different versions, but that get's too complicated to track, and then different Tap-A-Whirls would act differently.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming in.

Thanks,

Jon

7. entraind

entraind Member

I have a cusack modded Seek Wah and I would love the option to have the tap speed permanantly or switchably cut in half. I'll probably get your tap phaser as well and would want the same thing. As it is now the tap tempo is tougher to use b/c I have to wait twice as long as i'd like it to compared to tapping tempos into delays, on stage it's much harder to be accurate like this and it takes longer to do. Is this a possible mod for the seek wah and could the tap phaser have this as an option as well? I wouldn't really need a bunch of options just 1/2 timw would be great....

8. missingMN

missingMN Member

I like the idea of the tap divide if it is externally configurable. a jumper wouldn't be my favorite implementation. Love my TAW!!!!

9. JohnLutz

I would gladly give up fade-in and variable ramp speed for an external .5, 1, 2, 3, and 4 tap divide switch.

10. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

Here is what I would like after using mine for a few months....

As long as we are dreaming right?

I continually use it in the sinewave mode. Instead of having a bunch of clicks through bips and bleeps and such I would rather have a variable waveform say center is full sine wave turn to full right and have square wave turn it full left and get sawtooth.

The ramp up/down speed moved to an internal pot so I can set it and forget it....not keep hitting it with my big ass feet.

subdivisions are genius! .5 1 2 3 4 Perfect

Defeatable manual speed control.... hoping that this might help wiith the inital glitch that sometimes happens when I start the tap sequence.

11. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

The tap divide switch would be very useful. Your pedal is on the short list of effects that I wish to add this year. The divide switch would be the icing on the cake.

12. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

The initial glitch you are talking about is probably due to the fact that I restart the waveform at the beginning every time you tap. This allows a single tap to bring the waveform back in time. Usefull if the tempo is close, but off a little, a single tap brings it back. As a result, you will hear the wave changing back to the beginning the first tap, which sounds like a glitch?

Also, as a sidenote, it seems that 99% of the people out there cannot tell the difference between a Sine Wave and a Triangle wave controlling a tremolo (Or phaser as it turns out), which is why the Triangle wave does not show up in the Tap-A-Whirl.

Keep the feedback coming!

Jon

13. JohnLutz

>>The ramp up/down speed moved to an internal pot so I can set it and forget it....not keep hitting it with my big ass feet.

+1

14. stark

stark Supporting Member

I'm totally down with being able to program parameters for each waveform. Please make a tap tempo boss VB-2 type pedal.

Adam Stark

15. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

The new Tap-A-Phase has a Vibrato mode. Not sure if it's close to what you want or not, but when I get sound samples, check it out.

16. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

i'm in

17. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

OK, I have finalized the mod to the Tap-A-Whirl. It goes a little bit like this:

There is a new three way toggle switched added to the back of the box, next to the input jack. The three positions select what the Option Pot adjusts. The three parameters are:

Tap Divide (.5(1/2 speed of your tap), 1, 2, 3, 4(4 times the speed of your tap))
    Fade-In (0-4 seconds)
    Brake Speed (slow to fast)

There are two modes of operation. The "old" option jumper now selects between "Live Mode" and "Pre-Set Mode". You must power down and back up to change modes. (Simply unplug the input jack, and plug back in.)

In Live Mode, the three paramters are adjustable on the fly. If you set the Tap Divide to a certain setting, you can then flip the mode switch (on the back), and adjust either of the other parameters. In order to change the setting of a given parameter, set the switch to the setting you want to change, then move the pot to the desired position. You MUST move the pot to make a change. In other words, if you flip the switch, you must MOVE the option pot to get it to change. That's so that it won't change your setting just by flipping the switch. 5 seconds after you stop moving the Option Pot, the settings are stored, and will be used when you next power up (including tempo). That way you will have your setting stored.

In Pre-Set mode, there are four parameteres stored for EACH waveform: Fade-In, Tap Divide, Brake Speed, and Tempo. Whenever you change the waveform knob, ALL paramters change to the pre-sets for that waveform. You adjust those parameters the same as above, but in order to save them, you need to tap BOTH footswitches. You will know that they saved if the LED blinks. If you change the Waveform Knob before saving, you will lose the settings. In this mode, you are in Live Mode when you make changes to the waveform you are on, but revert to Pre-Set mode whenever you change the waveform. In other words, if you change the waveform, the last pre-sets you saved are loaded, but you may over-ride any of them as described above. If you don't save them, changing the waveform to something else, and then back to that waveform will re-load the pre-sets.

Also, in Live-Mode you mat save changes to the pre-sets, although they will not be used unless you switch to Pre-Set Mode.

I think this covers every possible combination of features you guys asked for?

Thanks,

Jon cusack