Tap Tempo switch drilled into DD20?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jonlarsen002, Jan 30, 2012.

1. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Anyone every performed the Boss DD20 mod where you drill a hole and wire up a switch to feed the tap tempo jack on the back? Any instructions or advice? I'm considering this instead of an external tap tempo box.

2. tibbon

tibbon Member

Use a drillpress (or mill if you're feeling fancy) for pedal mods. Easiest, quickest and cleanest. And use machining oil of course.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

Before. You start drilling you know you can already use a tap tempo with it right?

4. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Where would it even go?

5. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Yes, if you hold down the right pedal for 3 seconds... but that's too hard to use.

6. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

near the top of the right pedal... kind of looks like a boss true bypass mod switch.

7. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I think that it's physically possible, but I'm not sure how it would be more convenient than an external tap.

8. meterman

meterman Member

there is no need to drill, the CTL jack on the back of the pedal is for an external tap tempo switch. I use a cheap momentary switch that used to be for punching in on my 4-track. Any momentary switch will do, and it works soooo much better than the ridiculous way you have to access it on the pedal itself.

what I want to know, is has anybody modified the CTL jack to actually function as an Expression pedal jack that can control the Mix or Repeats??

9. rhythmicist

rhythmicist Member

Yeah, I've seen some people hook up a Boss FS-5L external foot switch which can be used for tap tempo. It hooks right into the back of the pedal.

10. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Yes, I'm well aware that there is an external tap tempo jack on the back of the DD20. In order to save the space on my board, I want to mount the tap tempo into the right foot pedal of the DD20. I've seen a photo of a TGP'er who has done this... but I am looking for details how this should be wired internally.

11. meterman

meterman Member

oh gotcha. my external switch is not on my board, off to the side. good luck!

I've got to admit they really screwed the pooch on the tap tempo thing. The DD20 would be the perfect Boss delay if it had better (ie usable) built in tap, external expression control of mix or feedback, and replacing the twist or whatever effects with something useful. Jutst MHO of course...

12. dlab

dlab Member

You want to use a momentary switch, and connect it to the external tap jack. Must be connected in a NC (normally closed) config for the DD20.

13. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Yes, you can wire the switch directly to the lugs or whatever the jack as (may be pcb mounted), or you can figure out where the jack is wired to (again, this may be pcb mounted so it may be the same place). Test it to see which is hot and which is ground (tip and sleeve respectively) and wire directly from the corresponding lugs on the momentary switch.

14. meterman

meterman Member

Sounds like a cool idea actually. But might you run into problems due to the fact that the CTL jack can actually be used for three different purposes (on/off, tap and preset change) according to how you set it? I guess that wouldn't change anything really....

15. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

That shouldn't matter, just set the function of the control jack to 'tap tempo' or whatever it's called like you normally would with an external tap. You could actually use this switch to perform any of the functions the ext. jack will accept, while still using the foot switch on the pedal for a second function.

16. meterman

meterman Member

sounds like a good idea, please post pics if/when you get it done!! :)

17. dlab

dlab Member

This. Just means your new "tap tempo" switch can actually do 2 other things.

18. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Not sure how and where I'd solder wire to these jacks.... I'm only familiar with the simple metal one's.

[​IMG]

19. dlab

dlab Member

Crappy - you might have to use the underside of the board :/

20. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Yep, gonna have to pull the board and figure out how to route the wire.