Tap tempo switch with dd20 problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by boon, May 17, 2006.

1. boon

boon Member

Hey guys, I just bought a tap tempo switch off ebay from mr phatgraphics and the size is awesome. Only thing is it doesn't seem to work like a normal tap tempo switch. The difference is, the tap is when I lift off my foot and not when i press the switch. There's no plarity switches on his switches. Is there a setting on the dd20 that I can change? Or some resoldering need to be done on the tap tempo switch? Help needed. Besides that, it works pretty well. Just weird that the timing comes from my feet going off . Thanx

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I've noticed a slight delay as well on my tap tempo switch. I don't worry too much about it, because when i play the delays are still on the beat

3. boon

boon Member

Did u get the same tap tempo pedal? It's not delays in switching but the effective tap is when u lift off the switch and not when u press on it.

4. boon

boon Member

Can anybody tell me if this problem can be reversed by reversing the soldering?

5. brent

brent Member

What did the seller say?

6. boon

boon Member

Seller has not replied

7. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

tap switches are either normally closed (they send signal when you press down) or normally open (they send signal always and pressing interrupts the signal). i think my tap tempo is normally open but i'd have to check and i'm not near it right now.

do you have a multi-meter. if so you could open up the tap tempo and test to see if it can be wired for open or closed. set the meter to check continuity (when you touch the probes it beeps) and touch all the lug combinations, pressing the stomp switch to see how the switch affects continuity. start by checking the current wiring. if it's closed, there won't be a signal until you press the switch. then, with the probes, look for a lug combination that gives a constant signal which can be interrupted by the stomp switch. (or, if its currently wired open, look for a lug combo that is normally closed but opened by the switch.)

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

sorry, boon, should have mentioned. I also have a phatgraphics tap tempo pedal :AOK
    you can see it on my board on page 92 of the "post pics of your board" thread

9. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

Hi,
    I also use a phatgraphics mini tap-tempo with my DD20. Mine also changes tempo when lifting OFF the switch on the second tap. I never even noticed that before; I thought it worked on the press, not the release. Works fine for me the way it is, though!