Tape and/or modulated digital delay question

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by somedude, Nov 21, 2005.

1. somedude

somedude Member

What I want to do is a delay with one repeat at a very short delay time and detuned enough so that it sounded similar to a chorus type effect, but thicker/soupier and not so 80s sounding when used with gain.

I'm thinking I'll need a tape delay to do this, but I don't know which ones are capable of this type of effect. I've heard an old Korg tape unit will, but I've never heard one. Will any of the Space Echo's do that sorta effect? Any other suggestions?

Thanks. :)

2. brent

brent Member

you can get some pretty extreme modulated delays out of the Line6 DL4 and probably the echopark as well although I haven't tried the EP

3. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

The Boss DD-20 has a nice sounding modulated delay as one option. Also the EH Deluxe Memory Man does very soupy chorused delays.

4. somedude

somedude Member

Tried the Line6 stuff....doesn't really interest me.

I have a DD-20 that I've been experimenting on....I like it, but it's not really doing what I'm after.

Does the DMM modulate the whole signal or just the repeats, because that's what I'm looking for....also, does the modulation sound similar to the Small Clone?

5. 65bfdr

65bfdr Member

If you want to modulate the whole signal, why don't you use a different pedal and stick it front of the delay???

6. somedude

somedude Member

Sorry, I should've worded that better.

I don't want the direct tone modulated, just the repeats, and I need to get enough detune/depth to give it a chorusy kinda sound.

7. somedude

somedude Member

8. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

Best I remember, the DMM modulates the whole signal. I'll experiment a little to see if it can be tweaked to do what you want. Sorry, no experience with the Small Clone.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Yes. The sickest, thickest & soupiest modulated delay's got to be the EH Deluxe Memory Man. They call it "chorus", but I don't really know what it is. Very cool, tho'. And only on the repeats.

The Diamond Memory Lane does a cleaned up, hi-fi version of this trick, but IMO, the authentic, gunked up sound of the MemoryMan's somehow more appealing.

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

actually, the keeley modded dd-3 will do everything you're asking for and more, due to the built in fx loop. You can stick a pitch shifter in there!

the boss dd-20 does do a sweet modulated delay, which I believe mr munky used on his recordings

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=41

11. duende

duende Member

Get a space echo and crinkle up the tape. Best chorused/mod delay you will ever hear.

Otherwise.... get a Echoczar with an Angle baby. Only modulates the repeats!!

Alex

12. 65bfdr

65bfdr Member

The Diamond memory lane does that to a tee

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I sound like a broken record here... here... here...

Yamaha E1005 or 1010 or Ibanez AD202 will do that in spades, but they are larger than a pedal...

14. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

The Line6 Echo Park modulates the repeats only. Sounds very very nice.
    The modulation knob adds the following to the repeats
    Tape - wow and flutter
    Digital - chorus
    Analog - vibrato

15. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've been thinking about this. How do they modulate the delay to create the pitch shifting effect without getting the delay time to vary noticeably?

Also, I asked in another thread, I have one modulated delay (Yamaha E1005) that each repeat is pitch shifted but a constant tone, whereas the AD202 each repeat is not only pitch shifted but is also internally modulated (warbly). Why or how is this done?

17. somedude

somedude Member

I'll have to look into the DD-3. I was actually thinking of getting a Maxon AD-999 modded for an FX loop to pull this off as I really love the sound of that pedal.

I've been messing with the DD-20 for days....it's too "clean" and "Boss" sounding....I need something that's thicker and detunes more.

FWIW....I dug out a (pretty broken) DigiDelay tonight and it's modulation setting seems to work well as it has the slight detune I'm after. I'll have to try it again tomorrow though and see how it sounds turned up louder.

Do those have a detune to the repeats?

I'll have to give Line6 another go and see if it gets me the sound I'm after.

18. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Supporting Member

hi there, i know you said you've been messing around with the dd-20 for a while, so this might not help all that much.

i set the mod depth and rate to taste, almost at full effect level, with feedback all the way down, and the delay set at 1ms. it gives it a pretty thick sound, like a cheap leslie imitation, hope this helps

19. threm

threm Member

As I`ve mentioned before Analogman modded a couple of AD900 for me with true bypass and two input jacks for expr pedals (delay time and repeats). Works perfect and lots of fun.
    If you had this done in addition to an effect loop, wou would have a wicked delay. With an added on/off stompswitch for the effect loop it would be about perfect.

Post a picture of the glory box then. ;)

Or get the Echoczar................