Tape delay for $100ish?

I have a carbon copy, but I want something that's more of the cool old school tape delay. I don't want to spring big for it.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
tc.electronics Mini Flashback or a used regular Flashback should do the trick.

Blue Bee

Not the flashback unless you want digital and sterile with not much character. I couldn't sell mine fast enough.

The line 6 echopark is your best bet by far, they got it right, it kicked my el caps butt most of the time.

It you have the real estate you can maybe find a used boss re-20 space echo for around your price point, it's very tape like

That danelectro mentioned above is pretty cool too, echo park tops it tho

Also the ibanez de7 is pretty tape like too, no modulation by way more character than the tc type stuff IMO

guitarman3001

My TC Transition (same as a Flashback, just made for MF/GC) has a toneprint that does a very convincing echoplex. At a gig one time I actually had someone come up to me and ask me if I was playing through an old echoplex delay.

guitarman3001

Not the flashback unless you want digital and sterile with not much character. I couldn't sell mine fast enough.

The line 6 echopark is your best bet by far, they got it right, it kicked my el caps butt most of the time.

It you have the real estate you can maybe find a used boss re-20 space echo for around your price point, it's very tape like

Also the ibanez de7 is pretty tape like too, no modulation by way more character than the tc type stuff IMO

The key to the Flashback is to find the right toneprint. The stock delays are just ok but some of the toneprints, in particular the echoplex one, are excellent.

S. F. Sorrow

Behringer Echo Machine. Very versatile in lots of old school delays. Even has an adjustable tape mod switch that does a good erratic tape/motor simulator.
The only negative is a bit of tone discoloration in bypass. Better used in a loop.

Blue Bee

My TC Transition (same as a Flashback, just made for MF/GC) has a toneprint that does a very convincing echoplex. At a gig one time I actually had someone come up to me and ask me if I was playing through an old echoplex delay.
I had the same one, digital poo IMO, it doesn't even come close if you want tape sounds. Try an echopark.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
I wonder how many folks that suggest tape-like delays on here have ever owned or used an actual tape delay.

cuseman731

Silver Supporting Member
There is a Subdecay Echo box in the emporium for not much more than that. Killer pedal with really good modulation if you want it. I have had one for quite a bit now and really dig it!!!

72Telecaster

I won't claim that it's a total "tape delay" tone, but the DE7 is worth looking into at ~ 1/2 your price point. Gets some nice warm repeats.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
I like Line 6 products, generally, and the Echo Park is a cool pedal, but I wish they'd integrate a dry-through analog signal path.