1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tape Echo w/Axe-FX II

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by GAD, May 20, 2011.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I just bought an El Capistan, and I have to say it's one of the best pedal purchases I've ever made. I bought it to go with a '63 Fender Bassman I'm getting, and I hooked it up to my Axe-FX in the meantime.

This thing just SMOKES! The El Capistan setting in the Axe-FX doesn't even come close IMO. I went through the Axe-FX FAQ and dialed in the tape-echo settings there. Nice, but not in this league.

Any review from you beta testers on the new Tape Echo effect in the Axe-FX II?

Sorry if I've missed such a review. If I have, please point me there. I've been busy playing with my El Capistan. :)

2. Paul Anderberg

Paul Anderberg Member

I tried asking this exact question (more or less) in the Fractal Forums and didn't really get a comparative answer, just that the delay blocks are very flexible (which I'm sure they are). So I would LOVE to know the answer to this, too. I'm fine with if it isn't able to and I have to put a Capistan in the FX Loop (spillover is VERY easy that way), I'm just curious.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

The tape echo settings in the Axe II are essentially 'presets' inside the actual block to help get you there. You don't have wow/flutter or anything like that. You could do that with LFO's and/or some other controllers, but as-is from the short time I've peeked at it, I don's see that as a specific control.

Seek out Javajunkie - he's *way* more hip to effects than I am.

4. GAD

What's an LFO?

5. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

It's a Long UFO

:sarcasm

vinceh likes this.
  6. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

LFO=
    " New Kids On The Block had a bunch of hits, Chinese food makes me sick, and I think it's fly when girls come by for the summer, for the summer. I like girls that wear Abercrombie and Fitch" etc...... lol

The Axe2 comes with this song loaded and constantly playing in a loop with the actual guitar presets!!

7. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

8. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

I'm pretty sure that stands for Low Frequency Oscillation. Just a guess.

9. SBRocket

SBRocket Member

An LFO is a low frequency oscillator. In sound shaping it is generally used to add movement to a sound. For example a tremolo could be achieved by using an LFO to control the volume of a sound. LFO's usually have 3 basic controls, speed, depth and shape.

In the above example speed would control how fast the volume goes up and down, depth would control how much louder and softer the sound will get, and shape would control what type of movement would be applied. (hard cuts or smooth for example)

SB

10. GAD

Wow. More proof that the Axe-FX is too much amp for me. :rotflmao

11. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Nah, I didn't know the definition of LFO either, but it's only three controls. Turn them until you hear what you're looking for and then play. It isn't hard.

To answer the original question, the real trick to getting that echoplex sound IMO is the PEQ. You can insert those into a feedback loop on the Standard and Ultra. The Axe II has it built into the block.

D

12. GAD

But I think what's really blowing my skirt up is the "old tape" aspect I'm getting from the El Capistan. The way the repeats sound bad, but in a wonderful tape-echo generational decay sort of way. The fact that I can dial in the age of the tape and the wow/flutter is even cooler. I haven't been this blown away by a pedal since... well ever!

13. Csgband

Csgband Member

Moved to Austin, formerly from Brooklyn, NY
    I really dig my Cap, I sold my fulltone TTE, I did keep my echoplex.
    I just put it in the loop of my 11R(though the 11r tape delay is very good).
    I am thinking of getting the Axe II,
    Did you try it in the effects loop?
    Chris

14. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Well, you can probably emulate all of that with the Axe, but here's my personal take on pedals in the Axe-FX...

If I like something special about how a pedal does something, but I don't need it all the time, I just use the pedal with the Axe-FX when I want that sound. If I need it all the time and I don't want to carry the pedal with me, I take the time to recreate it in the Axe-FX.

There are plenty of people who still have a few oddball pedals they use with the Axe-FX.

D

15. Zelja

Zelja Member

16. GAD

So, it's been six years (yikes!), but I figured I'd post something that has worked for me since I recently upgraded from the Axe-FX Ultra to the Axe-FX II XL+.

This video has some great info in it about recreating a warbling old tape delay:

I got it from this link: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/analogue-delay-tutorial.81089/

Hope it helps someone!

GAD