Tape flanging in a pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedude, Feb 15, 2009.

1. somedude

somedude Member

Most of the pedal flangers I've tried have sounded like flange in a metal can.

Does anyone make one that can pull off the sound of studio tape flanging? Or even somewhat approximate it?

2. okbutjustonce

okbutjustonce Senior Member

as far as i know, the Foxrox Through Zero is the only one. I think it's discontinued though.

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

The Foxrox TZF is the ticket but they are no longer being made and sell for stupid money...

4. Burgs

Burgs Member

The ModFactor has a THRU-0 setting on its Flange effect. Not too bad, either.

5. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

The TC Nova Modulator nalso has a TZF flanger mode that sounds ok. It does the cancellation thing and can sound somewhat like Bold as love

6. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a lot of flangers vintage and modern and to my ears the Fulltone Choralflange and TZF get closest to tape flange sound.The Fulltone won't do through zero but it just sounds round and "natural". Go to Full tone.com for clips.
    That said,I own a TZF and it's the bee's knees of all time.Too bad it's not made anymore.

7. somedude

somedude Member

Never would've guessed at the Choralflange. I spent the last little while listening to Youtube clips of it (and a few others) and came to the conclusion that the people making the clips wanted to demonstrate the chorus effect and did the flanger as an afterthought.

8. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Line 6 Liquiflange
    Boss PS-3

There are a few others. Do a search - there's a couple of threads that list them all.

9. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I think the Tycobrahe reissued by Chicago Iron gets really close and it is incredibly trippy. Check out the sound clips of it at www.guitar25.com.

10. muffinman

muffinman Member

As others have said, there are a few digital units out there that do through-zero flanging. As far as analog, I know of only 2: Electro-Harmonix Flanger Hoax & Foxrox Paradox TZF. I own the latter and it indeed is the bee's knees, the be-all end-all for TZF.

11. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I don't know if Thru Zero is what is key for tape flanging sounds but if you need a warm natural sounding flanger check out the Maxon. Not a metalic sound to be had.

12. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Todd's right.. I only had my hands on one of the Chicago Iron units but it was truly incredible.
    (not plugging because I am a dealer.. haven't even spoken with those guys in 2 years)
    He makes some very unique stuff.

The FOXROX thing was really nice as well. Sounded amazing but alas is no more.

13. orange worker

orange worker Supporting Member

+1

i have both this & the TZF (have also had the Flanger Hoax but didn't bond with it) and i would pick the Pedalflanger over the TZF. it has a warmth to it that the TZF just doesn't have.

14. somedude

somedude Member

Cool. I thought the ability to change the rate on the fly was pretty trippy.

High price for entry though...