• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tape head demagnetizing

CALI68

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do you know when you have properly demagnetized the heads on a TTE or an Echoplex?

-Chris

Phoebe

Check the instructions that came with your demagnetizer. Typically they will tell you the duration, in seconds, it takes to do the job.

soldano16

Could I get details on your demagnetizer cause I bought a TTE today.. today... today... today....

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Even if you read the instructions, it's basically voodoo. You know when you got it right when it sounds good, and you have the normal amount of echo. If you did it wrong, overdid it, you have no echo or less. If you did it wrong (underdid it), I guess you'd have the same not ideal sound you started with. First time I tried it, I moved slowly, brought it near to each head. Clearly I overdid it, as there was then no echo. Next time moved more crisply, worked like a charm.

Even when you get it right, you'll feel like the star of a really crappy B movie doing it. (It's a rather dramatic process ...) Hard to take it seriously, but it actually works.

Loop-Master

Supposed to rest on the head no more than 5 seconds and then move away slowly and keep away from other metal parts and then unplug it.

Repeat for the other heads.

Trending Topics