Tape Op magazine

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Meriphew, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Most people here probably already know about it, but for those of you who don't, go to www.tapeop.com and sign up for a free subscription to the magazine. Yes it's free (free postage too), and it also happens to be the best magazine out there on recording IMO.

2. muddy

muddy Member

STILL my fave pro audio rag!! the interviews are top notch, though the gear reviews in the back have gone the "give everything a glowing assessment" route for awhile now, which i find a HUGE disappointment. still, cann't beat the price!!

ml

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hmm...

been lookin' for a great recording mag. not very noobie friendly, eh?

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Who cares? It's a great read and it's free. Take from it what you can, learn, grow, expand your mind!

FWIW they are not unfriendly or disdainful to beginners. A lot of beginners ask questions in their letters column.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

IMHO it is the best of breed for recording mags. I have been a longtime subscriber and read it every issue. Thumbs up!:AOK

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I've had a subscription for about a year and really enjoy reading it. I love the breadth of the magazine. Reading about Peter Gabriel and David Gilmour's studios is just as interesting as reading about various up-and-coming engineers. I don't really bother with the reviews of recording gear, but everything else is useful. The Letters section is particularly interesting, as they include mulitple responses to different questions and sometimes those responses conflict. It shows that in recording there isn't always a single right way to do things.

Bryan

7. Brian D

Brian D Member

Great magazine.

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Follow-up to my earlier reply....

I've read feature articles about low-budget home studio projects that I found useful... inspiring, too. Besides, everyone making money in this business started somewhere. I'd say it's definitely a newbie-friendly rag.

9. onemind

onemind Member

I always got some Tape-Op info online, and for some reason never subscribed...talk about cheap ! I just got my first hard copy, and was impressed. Like it way more than the ones I spend money on...Mix, EQ, Keyboard, Home Recording etc.

10. muddy

muddy Member

i don't know where you got, or what gave you that impression. the tone of the mag is very inviting, and to all. there was a GREAT series about and written by 70's legend/engineer phil brown (roxy music, rolling stones, led zeppelin, bob marley, talk talk) 2-3 years ago that was a real page-turner! and like someone here said, the letters section NEVER talks down to the questioner or readers, and you get multiple answers from the likes of scott dorsey, fletcher, even some of the builders chirp in ocassionally.

ml