Tape

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by RUSHFANnLV, Jul 25, 2006.

1. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

I recently dusted off an old Yamaha MT-100 II 4 track and did some recording with it. I was surprised by the results. I eventually mixed sown to my PC but my feelings were that the tape represented what I heard in the room better than any digital recording I have ever done (to be fair to digital...my experience is very, very limited). I used a direct line form left amp and a mic for the right amp.

So who else uses tape? Am I a dinosaur?

2. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Chris Lord-Alge still uses tracks from tape, which he then pumps through his SSL board and ProTools.

CLA describes digital as a totally clean window... the ones you might accidentally run into. Analog is like a tinted window... there are all various types of tints depending on what your preferences are.

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

While I was making the transition from adat to harddisk recorder, I only had a MT-100 II and a Masterlink to record with. The recordings I made with the Yamaha still sound great.

4. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

Any tips you can give? I can record with it and mix down (some what). I know how to use the FX loop but have no idea how to get the most out of it. Like for instance, record with the dolby on or off?

Thanks.

5. spookybonus

spookybonus Member

i record to 2" tape in the studio and i have a tascam 1/2" 8 track i use for home recording...

tape rules!

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I don't think I used the Dolby NR. It's been a while since I used the thing. I do remember that the electronics clipped pretty hard on that one, compared to the Tascam units. Keep the levels under control and you should be alright.

7. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

The recording I did last week taught me that lesson. The guitar was just a little distorted but the tape distortion was massive.

Thanks!

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

When most people talk about recording to tape, they aren't referring to a cassette. Do whatever makes the music sound right to you.

Bryan