Tascam dp32 vocal recording question

DrJamie

Silver Supporting Member
My Zoom MRS 8 track died, and now slowly trying to learn this new unit. Can I record vocals without an external preamp? My Zoom had different vocal settings built in to choose from. The Tascam only has internal effects, and of course basic eq for each track. Do vocals sound good straight into this unit? I don't use much effect on my vocals, with my condenser mic. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bigbob63

Hi I do not have the DP32 but do use the Yamaha AW1600 and Zoom R16. I had a quick look at the online manual for your machine there are no specific paramiters you can set for vocals that is there are no sub routines for auto setting up suggested eq and dynamics processors which you can on the AW1600 and I suspect you might have had on your Zoom, however you can add dynamics (P61 of your manual). If your condenser is phantom powered you can switch this on there are 2 switches one for inputs A-D and E-H see page 41 once this is done you will need to set up trim level Page 46 remember if you alter the eq the level might change take a read of chapter 6 in the manual.

Bob

RustyAxe

Can I record vocals without an external preamp?
Yes, the internal preamps are pretty decent.

My Zoom had different vocal settings built in to choose from. The Tascam only has internal effects, and of course basic eq for each track. Do vocals sound good straight into this unit?
Usually. There are no presets for dynamic effects, but it's a "set it and forget it" issue usually. I use the dynamic effects to add a bit of compression, but that's more a matter of taste than necessity. I add reverb using send effects (the internal fx processor) to channels when monitoring and mixing. Send effects and guitar effects can be edited and saved as user presets.

DrJamie

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I thought there might a "library" of vocal effects, as mentioned in the manual, but it's just different reverb/delays, etc. Hopefully, the standard preamp sound will sound good, then adding a bit of whatever effects, for some space. My vocals have some reverb, but you don't actually hear it on the finished song. I usually use more reverb when I lay down vocals, just for monitoring my voice. I seem to sing better wet, rather than dry. (not in the shower).

Trending Topics