TASCAM DR-1 hand held recorders

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by genesouth, Jul 29, 2008.

1. genesouth

genesouth Member

Anyone use one of these TASCAM DR-1 units ? Just wondering what is the best use of this unit ? What it does best ? and what it does not do so good ? what are the limitations and or pluses or minus of these units.... Thanks.

2. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

3. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I use it for recording band practice.. check my soundclick signature .. the ones labeled DR1 test and "strat stuff" were done with it..

Also www.soundclick.com/jriflepractice ..all of these are full band some were "pre-gain patch" and some were after. The ones in my sig are just noodeling around the house with a blistering Marshall.. The full band ones are either songs under construction or finished.. some are structured better than others but you can get the idea of what a DR1 can do in a really loud practice room. Take note that the raw files sound MUCH better before soundclick compresses the crap out of them.

4. 59 Deluxe

59 Deluxe Member

i had a question on this model as well. i am considering this or the zoom h4. can you record two tracks at one time with the two external mike inputs? or a combination of the second mic input and the built in mics? it sounds like the zoom h4 can do this and i was wondering if the tascam could do the same. i have read the maual and it is unclear if using the external inputs disables the onboard mics or if using one external input disables the other.

thanks