Tascam M216 mixer with 238 Syncaset

Foggy1

Hoping someone can shed some light on getting playback sound after recording on a Tascam 238
Recording is all new to me here so I'm sure I have some stupid going on.
I have the M216 and 238 first 4 inputs and outputs going between each other
There is a mic going in to the XLR in on channel 1
We have studio monitors hooked up on the XLR outputs
I can hear through the monitors when I play and get the level meters moving on both
When I record and playback the level meters on the 238 syncaset move but there is no sound coming through the monitors
What did I mess up?- any help appreciated!:bonk

lennyonbass

it's been about 25 years since I parted with my 238...where are the outputs of the 238 going to? I used a tascam 2524 and had it set up so board channels 1-8 went to the 238 via the direct outs on each channel, and then brought the outputs of the 238 back into the board on channels 9-16...
I also would route the buses to the 238 occasionally instead of using the direct outs, if I wanted to eq before recording...

Foggy1

we have the outputs from the 238 going to the input channels on the back of the M216 on 1-4--we only have channels 1-4 hooked up for now to see if we can get any playback.
--i do have the manuals for both and followed what the M216 diagram had--nothing coming through when we playback.
when we mic the amp into the XLR in on the M216 and record we get the meter on channel 1 on the 238 to show a level--responds up and down with the guitar and can hear it through the monitors.
then when we play it back we again get the meter on the 238 responding but no sound through the monitors--maybe we need to change to different channels from the 238 to the M216?
Thanks again

lennyonbass

I suggest bringing the output of the 238 into different channels than you are using to record.
Also it appears that the signal from the tape will be routed to either "1-2" or "3-4" and then out through the main outs. there is no bypassing the buses straight to the main. is that correct?

Foggy1

Thanks Lenny--we will try that--i'll have to check the manual if we can bypass the buses---really new at this recording stuff
--another note==looking in the manual, it shows in one of the diagrams the XLR outs going to an amp before the speakers-i imagine with this being older tech that they did not have studio monitors with XLR plugs in the back--not sure though.
Thanks again

Trending Topics