• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

TAUK and Lettuce at HoB last night

RobC

I didn't spend my NYE watching the travesties on TV. I was at the HoB in Boston watching TAUK and Lettuce. At 47, I may well have been 20 years older than the next oldest person. In contrast to the descriptions of such crowds that I've read about recently, this crowd was generally polite, cellphone use was modest and very few held aloft during the performances. I imagine the holiday (and lots of weed) contributed to the vibe, but there were lots of smiles and "Happy New Year"s offered.

One thing that sucked was the very thorough frisking and bag check at entrance. It meant standing out in the rain for a good half hour. I suspect they were looking more for drugs than for weapons, but regardless, by midnight the smoke was pretty thick in there. If I was alone, I wouldn't have minded all the jostling but I was with my wife and I took mercy on her and we left a little early when it started to get particularly tight down near the stage.

A great night out. Lettuce is really good, of course, but TAUK really kicks some a**.

I've been digging the newest Lettuce record, but just can't get into Tauk based on the albums I've heard. Got a recommendation?

PeaElAre

I saw TAUK four times this year (twice opening for Umphrey's and an aftershow on that run) and in Dallas in November. They're responsible for some of the best live music I saw all year. So, so good!

JCM 800

HOB has always been "thorough" before letting people in, usually militant on cameras. I highly doubt they were looking for drugs any more than they would have for another show.

RobC

I had seen Extreme there last year and did not experience this level of door security. My first thought at the time was that it was related to the holiday and warding against a potential higher risk of terrorism. It was only after seeing certain items confiscated by security and then the somewhat surprising amount of smoking that was going on inside that I thought that maybe it was more drug-related. When I saw the news of the Turkey attack, I did reconsider that the security was probably more related to terrorism. I only bitch about it because I missed the first half of the TAUK set. Nobody's fault buy mine for not getting there a little earlier.

just can't get into Tauk based on the albums I've heard. Got a recommendation?
While I do sometimes like watching vids of both of these bands, I don't think I would buy an album of either. Maybe merch. These are live acts that would be difficult to capture in the studio. I just try to get out there whenever they are around. I think there is more variety in TAUK's music. Most of the Lettuce songs followed the same general arc and weren't all that distinguishable from each other. Could be my lack of exposure to them and the dramatic increase in volume between TAUK and Lettuce sets. A great show, all around, and I hope it happens again. I'll be there if at all possible.

While I do sometimes like watching vids of both of these bands, I don't think I would buy an album of either. Maybe merch. These are live acts that would be difficult to capture in the studio. I just try to get out there whenever they are around. I think there is more variety in TAUK's music. Most of the Lettuce songs followed the same general arc and weren't all that distinguishable from each other. Could be my lack of exposure to them and the dramatic increase in volume between TAUK and Lettuce sets. A great show, all around, and I hope it happens again. I'll be there if at all possible.
I've been around the jamband scene for 20+ years. I guess I have a higher standard. I like bands who make good records and bring it live.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom