Tax Day moved to 18th

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Rezin, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Rezin

Rezin Member

It's weird. Tax day is moved to Monday, April 18th this year because Washington DC has a holiday on Friday April 15th ("Emancipation Day") and government offices are closed, so...tax day is moved. The weird thing about it is that Emancipation Day is usually on the 16th, but since it falls on a Saturday this year, they moved it to Friday so employees would still get a day off. So like the reason the whole country pushes tax day by three days is so Washington DC employees can get a day off. I honestly don't know what to think about that.

2. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

If it makes you feel any better, I filed a day or two late a few times and never heard about it.

3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I don't think the whole country is particularly outraged or even inconvenienced.

A-Bone likes this.
  4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

On the contrary, I like the extra 3 days...

5. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

I can use the extra days as well.

6. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

you are like the kid in class that complained when teacher forgot to assign homework. ;)

7. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

yeah but Monday is Patriots' day in Massachusetts. it should really be pushed to Tuesday.
    :hide2

8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I *love* Emancipation Day for one reason - my assistant miscalculated a deadline on a DC Case and we would have been late but for Emancipation Day. Opposition counsel filed a motion to strike and claimed that we were "making up a holiday." He was shocked to find out that no, we weren't! Saved my bacon. Thus, I love E-Day!

EricPeterson likes this.
  9. Rezin

Rezin Member

I wasn't complaining -- I just thought it was weird that making sure employees in Washington get a day off, could change something like a tax deadline for everybody in the country.

10. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

When I worked in the Nevada Prison System (Correctional Officer), they did that kind of stuff for every holiday that was on a weekend. Almost always moved to Monday.
    I got screwed on that because if you work a holiday (At least at the prison) and its your normal work day, you get paid double time.
    My days off for a long time were Monday and Tuesday.

So its not just the feds who move holidays around so office people can get a paid day off.