Tax When Selling an Amp to US?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by coyoteblue, Feb 16, 2008.

1. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

I'm in Toronto and might be selling an amp to a member in the US. Does he have to worry about paying tax on the amp when it clears US customs? Other charges? How's this work?

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I've been selling guitars and amps into the US for over a decade.

If the item is made in USA, you are fine, tax wise. If you're shipping a Made in England Vox AC-30, the buyer could get nailed but I'm not sure on current tax laws for non US goods.

Made in USA = OK = no issue tax wise

BUT

But FedeX and UPS have a new gimmick now. You pay for the shipping and they ask you to sign a form. That form allows them to charge you additional brokerage fees for working the shipment accross the border. I once got hit with a $60 bill weeks after shipping.

I've started using Canada Post for almost everything now. Prices to Europe are 1/2 FedeX and UPS. Insurance is cheap and your chances of collecting from the Post Office are better than UPS or FedeX.

I've had zero problems using Canada Post/USPS.

3. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I just shipped a guitar from California to Alberta, Canada. The buyer got hit with a 10% customs brokerage fee. Yeowch! USPS/Canada Post is much less expensive (or no extra cost) for customs brokerage. You do need to double check insurance limits. USPS has somewhere between a $600 and $700 limit on Priority Mail Int'l shipments, so I haven't been able to use it lately.

4. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

I know the costs coming north, it's just going south that I'm interested in. Soldano, what bs that you can send to the US and the buyer pays no tax, and we have to pay 14% + on anything worth $20!

5. soldano16

soldano16 Member

What bugs me the most is buying a used car where all the sales tax was paid on the full retail price and yet you have to pay provincial sales tax when you buy that car used.

Theoretically, if a car is bought and sold a ton of times, the government could collect more in tax than the original purchase price.