Taylor 510 - Elixer vs D'Addario

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
Typically I keep Elixer's on my Taylor because they are what was stock (plus I like the lack of fret noise while switching chords)

But I heard someone that was using D'Addario EJ16-3D's and they sounded nice. Totally different guitar, so it was hard to tell, but I got the impression they had a bit more tone.

Anyone have experience with both on Acoustic guitars, especially but not limited to Taylors, to relate what they like/dislike about either?

mbetter

You'd have to pay me a lot of money to put a set of Elixer strings on any guitar I own. Put me down for the cheapest D'Addarios in the shop.

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
Could you elaborate with some useful reasons or comparisons based on your preferences and experiences?

I get people have preferences, but I don't think Taylor knowingly puts on suck-ass strings. People just have preferences and I suspect coated strings solve some problems but also compromise elsewhere.

I use D'Addario on most of my electrics, Slinky's on Bass and some Fenders.

mbetter

All of the Elixrs I've tried have sounded super boring. They are supposed to last longer, but I tend to like older strings anyways and change strings like once a year, so I really don't care that much.

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
2 of my friends who play blues love keeping their strings on for a long time. Years. I think they lose their high end so they like the less bright tones maybe. I don't care for stiffness of older strings.

It's true the Elixirs don't corrode as fast, so they last longer by not warbling. But Taylors sound so friggin' good I didn't have a problem with them. But now I'm curious if the tone is something I couldn't just get with a thicker pick, lol.

Stites

I understand that I'm comparing your acoustic with my electric, so outside the principle of the vibrating metal wire strings I get that they are very different. That said though, I've had a set of Elixirs on since 2012. And while they aren't as bright out of the package due to the coating, I've lost zero tone in four years thanks to that same coating. They also make a nano-coated string as well, basically a thinner coating. Maybe it sounds a bit brighter than what I have on?

I go with Elixirs because I'm too lazy to change out strings on a floating/locking trem guitar. And I like a bit darker tone, so the coating actually helps me with that.

ceanat

Ive been using Elixers on my Acoustic for many years now PB Nanoweb. An Acoustic guitar i recently purchased came with D'addario EJ17. I was surprised at the difference. I liked the non coated sound but because I live near the ocean coated was important. After a bit of research I purchased the D'addario EXP17s i think I'll be sticking with them from now on. Heres why.
I mostly play bluegrass. I play rhythm in a band and put in plenty of practice. After awhile the Elixers went tonally dead to my ears. The string/or coating started to fray where I hit the strings. I hit them hard. The Elixers also have high tension which some may like but I like the string to vibrate a bit more.
The D'addarios relative to the Elixers have a little less tension. Sound more like non coated. Don't even look like fraying. After a few weeks of heavy playing the EXP17 have changed tonally but its still a good tone and quite sweet still with nice highs and good sustain. The Elixers at this point would have given up.
I have read where many players say that the D'addarios don't last as long as Elixers. My experience is the opposite. YMMV.

Schafrocks

Ive been using Elixers on my Acoustic for many years now PB Nanoweb. An Acoustic guitar i recently purchased came with D'addario EJ17. I was surprised at the difference. I liked the non coated sound but because I live near the ocean coated was important. After a bit of research I purchased the D'addario EXP17s i think I'll be sticking with them from now on. Heres why.
I mostly play bluegrass. I play rhythm in a band and put in plenty of practice. After awhile the Elixers went tonally dead to my ears. The string/or coating started to fray where I hit the strings. I hit them hard. The Elixers also have high tension which some may like but I like the string to vibrate a bit more.
The D'addarios relative to the Elixers have a little less tension. Sound more like non coated. Don't even look like fraying. After a few weeks of heavy playing the EXP17 have changed tonally but its still a good tone and quite sweet still with nice highs and good sustain. The Elixers at this point would have given up.
I have read where many players say that the D'addarios don't last as long as Elixers. My experience is the opposite. YMMV.
Yeah, my experience is the opposite. I use the 80/20 nanoweb on my acoustics. They are bright at first but after a couple of days they loose some of that initial brightness.

The only problem I’ve had with the Elixer is after about 3 or 4 months, I’ll break a string. Either the G, B or high E. I just chalk it up to time to change strings. But so like the way they sound better than the D’Addario.

And, I’m a fan of D’Addario strings. Just didn’t care for the coated ones.

panther_king

I'm also on board with Elixir Nanowebs - I put the Acoustic Lights on my Taylor DN5.

I had also been using D'Addario NYXL for awhile, and just gave Elixirs a go on my PRS to try something 'new', since I hadn't used them in awhile. I don't quite know why I stopped - probably another 'lets try something else' moment, but I really liked playing on them again.

I really do like the smoother feel on the nanowebs; I've been using 10-46 on my PRS (Eb), and 10-52 on my Strandberg (Open C). They sound great.

EricStratton

I tried a few others when I bought my 510 but found it sounds best with D'Addario Phospor Bronze which is what I've been using since about 1997.

mabinogeon

A really hoopy frood.
Gold Supporting Member
I use Elixir Nanowebs on all my guitars, acoustic and electric.

I use the phosphor bronze on my acoustic, but I understand the 80/20s are brighter yet if that's your thing.

seagull

I've tried them both on my Seagull with a cedar top and rosewood sides. For me, I prefer the D'Addario coated strings over the Elixirs, even the lightly coated ones. I used to swap back and forth quite a bit and to my ear the D'Addario just sounded more natural with my guitar. I don't play that guitar so much lately, I've been on an electric kick, but I'm totally satisfied with the D'Addario EXP 16.

Trending Topics